Window Shopping and Sheep

Today I had a few hours to myself and took a long walk downtown to enjoy looking at all the nice things in the stores.


I love small stoves. They remind me of my little Baltimore apartment stove. 


I was happy to see that the new promenade was finished being paved. They were almost finished paving before I left and now they are all done. All the black and white checks remind me of chessand I think it would be pretty cool if for carnival people dressed as chess pieces and played a game.
I love the promenade but can't believe they turned the yellow building from a library to a store. Seriously, Pescara. Why?!

If you played human chess on this walkway who would you be? I would be the queen, of course, but second choice would be a horse.

As I wandered downtown I took a peep in one of the churches where I had never been before: Santa Maria del Cuore.
The people who have died recently are posted outside the door of the church.


  Pescara was heavily bombed during WW2 first by the Germans then by the Americans. They did a good job at flattening most of the historic city. It was shattered, utterly destroyed, the people left to to rebuild from scratch. Because of that, there are larger streets that fit cars, not horses, like most historic cities were built. Because of that bombing there are newer beachy apartments and buildings that resemble space ships. But one of the few buildings that held up was the church. A miracle if you will. There is also a cloistered convent called San Clemente (where the nuns make a vow of silence and never speak) a few miles away that was built in the 11th century and that also withstood the bombing of the war.

In I went to the church, got on my knees and tried to focus on a prayer but there was a woman in the confession room just bawling her eyes out and the annoyed voice of the priest made me feel like she should really be in the entire church alone to get her spiritual whipping for whatever bad thing she did. So I left. I noticed the wedding announcements outside the church. The wedding announcements go back to medieval times where a formal announcement of the two intending to marry must be posted in the case that one of them was a scoundrel and already married. This public posting gave people the opportunity to speak up. After the specified waiting time, and church counselling, the couple was free to wed. BUT in order to even get to the point of having that paper to post you need to provide like 15 documents of birth, celibacy, witnesses. In short it is a mess.
Wedding announcements


 Fond fond memories of getting married and the bureaucratic mess. It is of no wonder my husband looked green at the end of the altar the day of our wedding.

I continued strolling through the promenade of Pescara and met my bike of dreams. It's called a Trubbiani and it is fabulous. You can see it here. 
Her name is Amy. I'm not sure why but that sounds nice to me. 

One day I will own that bike and put a huge basket in the front, one in the back and ride off into the sunset singing.

As I headed home I passed a gypsie man who was begging infront of the bank. He looked at all the people leaving the bank and asked for a coin. I looked ahead terrified when I heard him cursing  the people who didn't give him money, "May your mother never have potatoes again!" He cursed. Gosh, that is pretty harsh. I imagined my mom, who is a big supporter of french fries, never having potatoes again and felt sad. I turned to look and saw a pious tall Fransican priest dollingout all of his change in the hands of the beggar. The monk's mom must like potatoes too, I guess.

As the evening approached, we took a stroll down to the beach.


It was windy and cold. There was a broom dug deep into the sand getting washed with each lapping wave. I thought that was a pretty nice ending to a broom who had a long life of sweeping up dirt.

The ending of the broom


Then we went to the grocery store to pick up things that are needed for Easter dinner.

Sunday is approaching fast. Abruzzo is the region in Italy where people raise the most sheep on mainland Italy.
Le Pecore di Abruzzo (The sheep of Abruzzo)


 Lamb is the traditional meat served here for Easter as a remembrance of the perfect lamb of God who was slain for our sins. We went to pick up our lamb and some other goodies at the grocery store then drove back home.
Hello Kitty Cocolate Eggs

The isle of wine

Procuitto crudo

Cuore mio. My heart. Just kidding but it reminds me of this French movie called  Ă€ la folie... pas du tout  where the protagonist who is nutty mails her crush who is a cardiologist, a heart! Imagine that...

Piggy ears with the tattooed numbers of them. It made me so sad to see this and I instantly thought of my little feline pigs. 

The end. 

Comments

Popular Posts