Easter in Eataly

If the title suggests that I have eaten 10 pounds of food it is because I have. Easter in Italy is celebrated with lots and endless lots of food. Cooking preparations begin days in advance. Sauces are slowly cooked, lambs are slaughtered in the hills making me wish to become a vegetarian, grannies forget about arthritis and take one for the team by cooking day and night. Our house is no different. At 4 AM I heard the gentle banging of pots and pans in the kitchen indicating that my mom-in-law was up. She had put aside her various ailments thoughtfully and cloaked herself in the maternal shroud of cooking Easter dinner. I peeked into the kitchen in my jammies shamefully offering my services as help. She shook her head, handed me a cup of espresso and a fat chunk of chocolate chip bread for breakfast. I ate watching her hands chop, stir, broil, baste, simmer and salt. My husband pulled me aside and indicated I should get out of her methodically well known Easter cooking dance and get ready for church. We got dressed, I felt like a lame lazy daughter-in-law for not helping cook, and off we went to church at Citta Sant'Angelo.
My favorite city in Abruzzo


The priest there is amazing. The last good soul searching message I have heard was from him. He is a mix of a theology teacher, fire and brimstone and common sense priest. He talks strait, addresses the issues of everyday men and encourages his congregants to be better fathers, mothers, workers and citizens. I really like him. Plus he explains things clearly. I feel that each service is thought out, sincere and delivered with intention.

After the service all the kiddies filed out to have their chocolate eggs blessed by the priest.

Waiting to have their chocolate egg, a symbol of rebirth and fertility, blessed. I should have brought  my Hello Kitty Egg that my husband sarcastically bought for me.

Little kids with eggs half their size. Darling.

Sneaky teenage boys set off fireworks right after mass.

The view from Citta Sant'Angelo is incredible

I think this city is great because it has herds of cats. Lots of cats = no rats = clean streets. 

 We drove home and were greeted by a very exhausted looking mom-in-law who looked like she had just finished running a marathon of 30 miles in her kitchen. She probably had. I really appreciate all of her effort to put this amazing dinner together for the family, especially considering that she wasn't feeling 100%. It makes her effort so much more valuable, loveable and appreciated. And there, on the dining room table was the best spread  of food I have seen. We all headed to the table and ate for ever then ate some more.....Take a look.....





 Pesce

Casatiello: rolled stuffed bread. Baked with whole eggs on top. I have another blog ready on this extraordinary bread. 




Egg battered and fried artichoke

Rosemary roasted potatoes

cheers!

Our little lamb

The baked egg from the casatiello

Limoncello

Chocolate egg

After the long lunch my mom in law headed off for a well deserved nap and I headed off to wash the mountain of big pots and pans in the kitchen.

My daughter-in-law helpers conscience has been partially cleaned

check out that shine!
We hummed around digesting the mountain of food then headed off to the beach to end the day with a nice stroll.

couples

Going for a stroll

These trees were holding up a cloud.


I love the shape the water put in the sand.

Fierce!

Umbrella poles getting set up for the summer

Sunset in Abruzzo


There are always a variety of cloud colors swirling here: up from Africa, down from Russia.

Ending the day with Love.

Comments

Popular Posts