West Side Saturday

We ventured into the city today. The day started deceitfully sunny and we were sure it was optimal weather to go for a tour in NY. Riding in the train we made plans on where to go and what to eat.

 Just as we stepped out of Penn Station the wind hit our faces so we covered up and stayed that way for the rest of the day. Oh, I also sprained my ankle at the beginning of 31st street and spent the rest of the day trying not to limp. That was awesome.
Cold Cold Cold

Upper West Side is a spot on Manhattan's map that we never discovered before. We trotted up fifty blocks towards the New York Historical Society Museum and Library.
This is my house. Tea is promptly served at 3 PM followed by a walk in Central Park with my cats. I wish.


 Right off the bat, I will say that I rate the NY Historical Society Museum at a 10. If you go to NYC you absolutely must go to this museum. They clearly and very creatively showcase the history of NYC from the Lenne Lenape Indians to the settlement by the Dutch to modern times and how NYC helped develop the world through trading. Loved loved loved this museum. We started off by watching a very cool film in their theater that made me cry. "I would like to thank my hormones for the easy tears".
The men that built NYC

Give me your poor...

Is your relative here? Mine landed not too far away from this port.

Then we made our way up to the fourth floor to work from the top down.
Founding Fathers

Hand cuffs

Tiffany lamps

This Tiffany lamp reminded me of Fatty. If he were a lamp, he would be a fat Tiffany lamp.

look in the back. What do you see? Archives!!! Archival libraries preserve the history of the world!

The best part of waking up.


I love a good death mask. Poor Chief Osceola died at 34 though...yikes.

They old toy section. The little kids there were going bananas.


Shameful. Simply terrible. Not all were free.

September 11, 2001 wall. Firetruck door and pictures of that sad day.

Someone's desk clock found in the rubble. 





We also saw a pretty nice WW2 exhibition on New Yorkers that fought.
















After the museum we sat for a minute, reflected on all we had seen and ate a few saltine crackers to fuel us before heading back into the cold winter day.
In purse: crackers, chocolate, map, pencil and sticky notes.


We walked up West Side and saw a remarkable amount of dogs pooping proudly on the sidewalk and their fancy owners standing there watching them poop and ready with an eco-friendly bag to pick up the crap. I sincerely wish I could have gotten a good shot of this, but somehow felt nasty taking a picture of this event.

However, I enjoyed people watching today. New Yorkers are like snow flakes where no two are totally alike:












Check out the dolly stroller. I love seeing dads that melt for their little girls.





For lunch we went to Don Antonio's Pizzeria on the corner of 8th and 50th Ave. I rate it an 8.



Their appetizers were good but the pizza was on the thin side. I also sat next to a lunatic who talked to himself stating the obvious "The people next to me are drinking water" so that sort of was a bummer for the ambiance. I love the word "ambiance" especially when really pretentious people say it drawing out the the "a".

Anyway, to end the day I talked my husband into walking another 50 or so blocks down to Grand Central Station that was built by the Vanderbilt's of course. Did you know that...

 Fantabulous station. After reading the juicy gossipy story of the Vanderbilt's called, "Fortune's Children" I feel intimately acquainted with them and know all about how terrible they were to each other.




Horrible horrible people. The type of people who would say Aaaabiaaance when describing the aaaambiaaaance of Grand Central Station. Well, I loved Grand Central Station.







It is a great example of amazing American genius, engineering and technological progress.



So there is my Saturday. Now I will go sooth my twisted ankle. We made it through 100 NYC blocks today!

Comments