J'adore Mid-Flight

A good 16 hours of sleep, three espressos and a generous plate of pasta with meatballs has brought be back to feeling like a human capable of writing a sentance longer than three words.


I finally found my favorite perfume. Perfumes are a very personal thing that depend on the person. I've had two in my life but neither one were "The one". The first was a gift from a German foreign exchange student when I was 16. She brought Calvin Klein One and I cherished that perfume for years. It had the right combination of citrus and spunk that reminded me of her. Then when I was 19 my mom bought me Coco Chanel Mademoiselle. She probably thought that since I was still young this delicious smelling maidemoiselle perfume was just the thing for me. I used it on special occasions to stretch it out. My mom is a perfume girl and was married to Shalimar Guerlain since I can remember. That is her perfume and no other. I knew, like my mom, that J'adore was mine the day I first tried it 2 years ago.

Then we moved, and removed and I couldn't justify putting down 75 dollars for a fragile bottle of perfume that could break in a move but I knew J'adore was my one.

Then flight 413 from Newark to Munich steps in. There we were four hours into the flight. The camera showed we had just passed Greenland and were over the middle of the Atlantic. Dinner had just ended and I was really impressed with the great chicken they served with a glass of wine. My husband and I were just starting to watch The Candidate and were laughing even though I had to explain some crude jokes. He was asking me "What does butt tootes mean?" "Le scoregge" I explained... Then, the movie stopped suddenly and a serious anxious flight attendant announced "A doctor is urgently needed on the lower level." I looked at my husband and he said he had to go. His jaw set in a way that I see him only on the job: serious, no nonsense, cold and analytical. He got up and left. I paused our movie and started to think.

Who was sick? Was it one of the two pregnant women who boarded the plane? Was he going to give birth? how exciting! Wait. He didn't have any gloves to protect him from bodily fluids and vermin...What if it was a maniac that was crazy? Was it that crazy girl I saw in Newark trying to open the trashcan? She was on our flight too. What if it was someone having a panic attack and they bit him? He didn't have gloves.

 An hour passed. Everyone was sleeping but me.

He came back with drenched pants. Someone had gotten violently sick details will be spared but enough to say that he had to wash one pant leg. A relieved flight attendant came back and asked him to follow her. He got up and went to fill out some forms then flipping through a catalog. The flight attendant left then came back with a bag.

As he reached the seat he said, "I had to fill out a form saying what happened and the flight attendant insisted I pick something from the Dutu Free catalog as a thank you for helping them." He handed me the bag, sighed happily and told me to put it in my purse. He smirked as I curiously peaked at it in the darkness to see what he got. That angel of a man spackled in someones vomit was thoughtful enough to get J'adore. He could have gotten anything from that cool Duty Free catalog and he thought of me. My heart swelled with pride when he got up to help the lady, got worried thinking of some lunatic biting him, then fluttered with butterflies when I saw what he picked out.

He winked at me, told me to put it away and put his headphones back on. I will cherish that bottle of perfume for ever and ever. Best perfume story ever. I think J'adore should use it as a commercial. When you know you found the one it is worth waiting it out. I'm so glad I never indulged myself in buying it somewhere else and waited 2 years to magically have gotten it mid-atlantic where I did and how I did. This one is a keeper. The end.

Comments

Popular Posts