Slugs and the BMA

Today was a beautiful sunny and rainy moody day in Maryland. I went in the morning to teach my little kids about God, the 50 states and multiplication by 2. They were so full of questions this morning, more than usual, about angels, God and the devil. They only have 2 days of school left so I am sure they wanted to leave feeling prepared for 3rd grade as if their guardian angels also need to go up a grade. Some of their questions were intense, some really cute. My favorites from this morning's prayer meeting:

"Miss Teacher? Is my guinea pig, Shilo, an angel?" 

I suspect animals can be angels...but I am not sure about Shilo.

"Miss Teacher? How do you know if it is your conscience or the devil that is causing you to sin?"

Huh, I *think* the devil and bad spirits cause temptations yet we choose using free will to sin. Right? We aren't forced to do wrong. And that gorgeous pair of Manolo Blahniks that I didn't buy at 50% off were such a beautiful temptation...

"Miss Teacher? Can my mom and I go to the same purgatory?"

I'm not sure they would want to be stuck in the same place with mom. I know my little mother and I would move further down the purgatorial food chain if stuck together.

"Miss Teacher? How do you know if something is wrong if it is fun?"

If it hurts you or others don't do it. 

I am going to miss my little gremlins. I'm going to miss finding slugs in the playground and hearing about their little dreams.
Meet Slimy

 They are so sweet. Whichever 3rd grade teacher will have them is a very lucky person. 

Then, this afternoon, I drove to Baltimore to see one of my best friends. It felt like going home. I know the potholes, I know that North Ave will be lined with twitching drug addicts, I know that once you cross into 29th street things get pretty and at 39th street they are blooming with charm. It was raining a warm summer rain and we dashed into the BMA to see a quilt collection that is on exhibition. 
I am so glad this museum is free!


"Prometheus bound" it seems as if he has a migraine. 

 Doesn't it look like if she is holding a rifle? It is a violin. And I think people who like guns and rifles should trade it for a violin and see if they feel better.

Matisse 

The Cone collection. Lucky ladies. 






What I would have done to be a cat in the Cone sisters house.







It feels like it is about time for me to start piecing together a new quilt. The first quilt I made was with the Ohio Star pattern. It represented my moving from high school with family to college on my own. From there I made quilts for family and friends. I'm almost done knitting my 6 year blanket, like Penelope's shroud, so it seems like the moment has arrived to start a new blanket. Which pattern to choose? The pattern is the most important because it is so symbolic of the story behind the quilt. I think I will choose "Flying Geese" it is a pattern used by slaves to indicate direction but also migration. I like the choice of freedom, choosing direction to a quiet place, and geese are very strong-willed birds.  

Comments

  1. Your sentiments for you students move me hija. You really would make a tremendous primary school teacher. What a contribution you would make to their little lives.

    The quilt photos are stunning! I have the one you made in Alaska here in China. I think I'll take it back to the US in a few weeks. I may be staying there after this summer or maybe in Canada.

    Love you and miss you.

    Daddy...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts