Fare Thee Well Little Faces

Last week the teacher returned and suddenly: I had time! It really is a tangible element of life. The poor teacher also just had a baby so was tired and sleep deprived so let me manage the class for the week. I think she needs lasagna. Maybe I will make her one. Lasagna has medicinal properties.

My little class was perplexed. They didn't know who to obey, who to ask for permission to use the bathroom and several little girls just feigned catastrophic illness to avoid dealing with it. However, those symptoms lasted only a few days. Yesterday the Spanish teacher escaped and the hour needed to be filled. It ended perfectly with my reading five fairy-tales using a variety of voices. Their favorite was the "Californian surfer dude" voice. The little boys especially liked it. I used my brother's "Bro" voice he uses when talking to college friends. He would have been furious but his voice is great for story-time. I have done my profession conducting story-times proud. I can imagine how much fun some of my librarian friends would have had reading with me.

Another highlight of this week was a play for the children. Something unexpected and scandalizing happened: I discovered my inner "dance mom". Shudder. There was no stopping me. I loved participating in speech in High School and know how terrifying it can be to memorize lines then delivering in front of an audience. Our little class had such a ball practicing how to be insects. During practice they growled and bellowed their lines like the best Greek orators. They night of the play they all, naturally, got scared and forgot 50% of their lines. I was back stage to control the wild little ones from fighting but when the music started, forget it, Miss Teacher was dancing back stage with the rest of them. I think I want to re-enact this play with my brother and cousins. As terrifying and silly as it may sound, I think we would do a darn good job being singing insects.

I have no idea how life will be working with adults again. No markers, no lunch boxes, no weepy little ones needing comfort, no dirty shoe-laces needing to be tied, no cute drawings. It is going to be so very boring. Unless I work at a school or at a mental asylum. Maybe working at a mental asylum is the answer. Maybe I should adopt 10 kids. I think I could raise them!

In any case, the cats are glad the school year is coming to an end. They have been sorely neglected of the high quality service they are accustomed to. They dream of going back to Jersey to the arms of Uncle George and Aunt Sue who would never have abandoned them to work in a school. They miss the days of telepathically sending love to their girlfriend Cloe. Maybe I will take them out today before it rains. Maybe not. I think I will take myself out for a walk to breathe some inspiration before the torrential rains predicted for this weekend come.
Nesting and waiting for love. 

Comments

  1. You have such a love for the children Hija...maybe you should consider becoming a certified teacher and doing this full-time. Love you and miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Moose. But the idea of going back to school and paying more money for tuition doesn't appeal to me. If I could do it without tossing out money, I would.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts