Bring it on, Mr. Blizzard!

There are a few things I think are absolutely essential when preparing for a few days of being stuck indoors thanks to a blizzard. In no particular order of importance, here are a few things you must really have to be prepared for sub-zero temperatures:

An emergency kit. I prepared ours little by little getting water each time I went to the grocery store. I also used this check list from FEMA to shop. My loving husband had a great time making fun of me as I dutifully reached for a whistle in Wal Mart and scratched it from my FEMA list. If FEMA put a whistle on their list it must be really important! What if we needed to climb to the roof of the house and wait for a helecopter to come save us? He laughs...Lastly, I ordered a very cute radio / phone charger / flashlight that is powered by the sun and can be hand cranked in case the world ends and we no longer have a sun.
You can hear music and charge your cell phone if the electricity goes out. 

 In that case, I guess hand cranking my amazing little radio wouldn't help me at all. But it would be nice to use the flash light so I could at least see the end of days.

Layers. You must have layers to stay warm. Start with your skin with layering cream over it, trust me it will help you from feeling like a flaky croissant.
An assortment of lip balms are good to keep on hand. I love Burt's Bees now!

This is the only good hand cream for 16 degrees below zero!

Mineral Fusion. I got this at Whole Foods one day when my  other face cream wasn't doing it's job. Mineral Fusion is perfect and smells great too!



Layers. Long johns. My dear, long johns are the way to go. You will feel like a backwoodsman putting them on. But even feeling like Adam Potefy from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers will have you smiling when you are warm and toasty.
The Wild West
Girlfriend has them on too. 

 These snugly warm long johnnys will become your best friend as you shovel heavy snow.

Boar bristle hair brush. The pig's bristles help move valuable oils down the hair follicle and hydrate your hair. It also helps your hair from becoming totally electric and that is a good thing if you don't like getting shocked.


Boots! Ahhh...I could write an entire post on the value of different pairs of boots in New Jersey. In my opinion you need at least five types of boots to get through fall, winter and spring. These are the boots you would need: rain boots for the torrential rain, flat boots that look nice with jeans or skirts, high heel boots to feel cute while in your 5th month of sporting very warm clothes, old boots that you are totally comfortable walking 10  miles in NYC with, and snow boots to get you through a sure blizzard. Today's boots are snow boots. I could smell the snow coming weeks in advance. There had been a pair of snow boots I really loved called Joan of Arctic by Sorel that I saw go on sale on Gilt.com so I got them and rate them at a 10.

The size does run a little large so I am usually a size 8 in boots and ordered a 7 and they fit like an 8 with plenty of room for warm socks. One thing I like about the Joan of Arctic (other than the really cool name) is the fact that they are layered! The sole is rubber and waterproof then the top is leather and then (the excitement doesn't end!) THEN it has a warm removable lining topped by the cutest fake fur that reminds me of Fatty.

El Gordo looks like my boot fur, doesn't he?


Lastly, food. Frigid days make you want to eat nothing but cheese, chocolate and french fries. I highly recommend buying things that make you think of California, and Florida. Alternate warm yummy foods with  raw, fresh and light ones. Creative salads will make you feel light and happy.

Avocado, baby carrots and ham with olive oil and lemon juice. 


We are ready for you Blizzard Nemo! We have extra water, powdered milk and an awesome little hand crank radio. Bring it on!



Day one of blizzard. The pencil is 7 inches and the white thing  almost 12. 

Comments

Popular Posts