Cold Days and Collard Greens

Last week the high temperatures danced around 20.

It was cold, a very mean cold that you can't beat. Living in the NY area is like giving up life for a season: winter. The winter is bitter here and the options for entertainment and fun are few: museums, movies, cooking, repeat.

We have trotted to a few museums and I have not been impressed. Call me grouchy but they just lacked...creativity. The Guggenheim displayed all Picasso, and today's did not fare much better. We trekked out to see the New Jersey Science Center. The drive in through Jersey City was thrilling, pure thrill like "I'm going to get killed" thrill.



Finally, arriving to the museum we noticed pretty soon that their exhibits were measly. It's like they opened a museum hoping that the money they could raise from the visitors could pay for actual exhibits.
The view at the New Jersey Science Center is NYC, not bad.

 

One nice thing that I did enjoy at the museum was the fish exhibition. They all looked nice, fat and tasty. I bet they would grill well with lemon, olives and capers. mmmmmm

Sea Bass. mmmm...

Coming home with frozen toes had me wondering what the next few days would bring, and the weatherman said (drumroll) SNOW. More flaky, slippery, icy terrible snow. I would love it if it were not for the fact that the other rather icy day I crawled on my knees across a sheet of 1 inch ice to avoid falling like most people did. Snow. I do not want to wash my face and hair in snow. I wish it would no longer snow. Snow! How do I wish I were in Florida with no snow. Snow, if I were the sun I would beat you to death and never again crawl on snow. If you can't tell, this cold is driving a girl a bit bonkers.

On the bright side, there are collard greens. Lots of yummy collard greens. Tonight, before the snow, I went to stalk up on some stalks to cook, bag and freeze.



 Something about seeing and cooking collard greens made me feel very Southern and not so cold. Thank you, sweet collard greens, for bringing a bit of sunshine into an otherwise frozen day!

Oh, one last thing. Today we drove through Verona. Yes, there is a Verona in New Jersey! Not Romeo and Juliet's but...Tony and Gina's...
Welcome to Verona, New Jersey, kid.

I also thought the Football shaped cakes, especially made for Super Bowl Sunday, were exceptionally American.

How about those Ravens! Living in Bal'more made me appreciate the Ravens, not for the football team but because of E. A. Poe.

Comments

Popular Posts