Two Sandwiches and a Headache

Migraines arrive like a bad wedgie in public. Really, they do. You know it is coming, and try to do something to get rid of it. Wiggling? Doesn't help. Squirming in your seat? Nope. Then it is there in all it's glory defiantly stating that it is there to torment you and there is nothing you can do. Well, today's migraine gave all it's warning signs. First there was tunnel vision, then my neck started to throb like a hip-hop club on a Saturday night. I decided that maybe food would help and ran to Subway in desperation. Side note: in New Jersey everything is smothered in garlic. I think Jersey boys and girls think it is very Italian of them, well it kills me and my husband. Therefore, it is hard nuts to find a food item not covered in garlic. End side note.

This is a long essay on the nature of my migraine today. Proceed with caution.

So, Subway, being a franchise, was a safe garlic free institution where I decided to end my notes of suffering with my oncoming headache. A 6-inch turkey sandwich on Italian bread with spinach, tomatoes, jalapenos and honey mustard was ordered. Hey, when you have a headache you will try anything on your sandwich. If there were chocolate chances are I would have added that too. So, as you can imagine, the 6-inches of bread did no good. I headed to the Clifton Library hoping that by some miracle reading a book in one of my favorite places would help.

The migraine gained speed like a torpedo. It hit me. I was confused, dazed and in agony. I got in the car and drove in the wrong direction almost ending up in the Lincoln Tunnel to go to the city. I nearly crashed with someone. Droplets hit the windshield sounding like echoing bombs in the distance. I knew it was time for a desperate measure and wheeled my car into a Dunkin' Doughnuts. I parked in 3 parking spots and shut my eyes against the throbbing nausea that didn't stop.

The Dunkin' Doughnuts was empty except for the cashiers who chatted and flirted with each other. The bagels looked at me. After what seemed like an eternity I ordered a toasted bagel with cream cheese and a coffee. The 16 year old with pierced ears took my bagel and danced around with it before toasting it. I could have strangled him.

Back in the car, I made a deal with myself to only eat half the fattening bagel and save the rest for lunch tomorrow. In two minutes I ate it all.


The migraine dipped in the glorious moments of eating the bagel smothered in cream cheese. Cream cheese seems to be the golden trick for appeasing cranky migraines. I drove home cautiously. Got out of the car squinting and headed towards the house. At the door I was greeted by a cat who looked at me with pity. I believe the ancient Egyptians who thought that when a cat looked you in the eyes it looked into your soul. Well, this cat certainly did and had pity on me.

Without my husband around to offer sensible advise, I picked up the cat and gave him a long hug. He purred happily against my wool coat and my migraine turned to a headache then slowly started to slip away.

Lesson learned? It takes two sandwiches, cream cheese and a purring cat to cure a migraine.

Comments

Popular Posts