Thirty Things

Today the sun shone deceitfully through the winter-blasted windows.

We enjoyed a delicious breakfast.
Greek yogurt, granola and honey do this, honey do that!


Don't judge. It's Sunday and we shared.

Pompelmo

And I decided to go for a walk, despite my husbands warnings.
Black ice.....

He was right! The 22 degree weather outside is cold enough to freeze the warmest of hearts and chill the cheeriest of spirits. A few minutes into my decided trot I accepted that I hate Jersey winters and turned right around to go back home. Trudging back into the house I was smacked with the hot dry air, got hit with a wave of nausea and within minutes was growing 3 pimples on my left cheek. My husband claims pimples grow with temperature changes and I am starting to think he is right.

I decided to do some mental chores: organizing personal documents and plowing through the end of four books that I had doodled through.
Reading list.

Done! "The Art of Conversation" rated 3. "Fortune's Children" rated 9. "The Little Dictionary of Fashion." rated 10. "Home Comforts" rated 7. 


One last mental clean up list to do is to list things I have discovered in my 30 years of life. This list is something I should have done around my birthday but didn't. And now that I am restricted to the house or some other covered dwelling place till the weather changes, I present thirty things that enlightened me by the age of 30.

I will break them down into six categories:

Travel
1. Pack more underwear than outfits, and only pack the jeans you would wear everyday if you had to.
2. Say "Why not?" and go there.
3. Take vacations without telling your friends, family or co-workers where you are going and don't tell them how much fun you had. It will make the trip more fun and personal.
4. Don't forget to charge your battery for the camera.....
5. Spend less on restaurants, they are always overpriced and overrated in tourist areas. Choose a slice of pizza and go to the supermarket for fresh fruit and pastries. Chances are, they will have local food ready to eat as well.

Studies
6. Sit at the front of the class, take lots of notes and talk to the teacher or professor.
7. Prepare at the beginning of the term for the end of the term exam.
8. Begin long papers with a big cup of coffee. Avoid cigarettes, they are hard to quit.
9. Enjoy your research, make it your friend.
10. Turn what you got your degree in into your friend and you will never work another day.

Cleaning
11. Love your home, your life and you will love cleaning it.
12. Finally I organize cleaning into manageable tasks by days of the week: Mondays = Laundry.
13. I learned to always get dolled up after major cleaning, even if it was just for the cat.
14. I learned that cleaning made me feel like I was contributing to society getting better, one dust ball eliminated at a time!
15. Shirt laundering: I finally learned how to properly wash, dry and iron a button down shirt, silk shirt and wool sweaters.

Food
16. Fruit is a pretty beast. An apple a day certainly does keep the doctor away, energy up and bad mood down.
17. I learned to eat what I wanted on my birthday. Double cheeseburger with bacon? Yes ma'am!
18. I learned to buy produce only when it is in season. Pick it up and smell it like you would your future husband before you marry him. If it don't smell good, don't get it.
19. Fried food? Not an enemy but an occasional friend that where the friendship never grows stale.
20. Quality not quantity. Spending a few more dollars, euros or sek is well worth it to fill your body with the right and tasty nutrients it needs! Also, pigging out is totally overrated. I lost 20 pounds by eating great, walking every day and avoiding bad, prepackaged food.
21. Love the earth. Not to be some hippie freak, but the closer you eat to what comes out of the earth the greater you will feel and the better your bowel movements will be. That my friend, is real happiness. There are very few happy people resulting from constipation due to an overindulgence of trashy food....

Life...generally
22. Grow up before you have to, it makes things easier to deal with.
23. Delete your Facebook account. It makes life more consistent.
24. Sacrifice something for the happiness of someone else.
25. READ. It opens new worlds.
26. Have a cat.

Shopping
27. I learned to save more than shop.
28. Impulse buys are no bueno.
29. Ignoring trends and sticking to classics is both classy and a money saver.
30. Dress nicely at home where the most important people in your life are.
31. Go without make up and your skin will thank you.


Ok, so that was 31 but I am almost there and today I feel like 70 thanks so the cold. So there you have it! 30 for now and hopefully lots more to go and learn. I did leave out the love part, but that would fall under #26. The cats know the whole love story and in my opinion they are all that need to know.

Comments

Popular Posts