Rothko and Rain

Living close to DC is like living close to NYC, you almost never make it in. Yesterday was an exception and I was lucky to find a free 3 hour parking spot right in front of the National Gallery of Art. It was raining and pouring so I couldn't have been luckier. Upon entering the gallery, what did I see?


Ahhhhh Rothko! Most modern art doesn't appeal to me. However the size and color of Rothko's paintings are delicious. It feels like they absorb you completely and you are the color. I loved feeling immersed in the black and the slash of red. It was quiet in the gallery and as I stood close to the painting the only thing I could see was black black black black and the red as if it were an idea or emotion rushing out of the black.

Moving along I went from the Rothko room to a very different gallery. One with marble life size sculptures, mostly from Italy.
"Reading girl". I love that they have a reading girl, however why is her boob outside? I'm not sure if it just slipped out, or if she is reading after a bath, or if she has an infant she needs to breastfeed. However one thing is for sure, if it is an Italian sculpture, a boob must be shown!

 It was such a breath of fresh air to see beauty and history. Living in Italy spoiled me. I got used to seeing man-made beauty in the architecture, the streets, the fountains and of course in the art. Here in the US we lack so much of that. Strip malls and identical strip malls give no inspiration to the soul or imagination. So seeing the sweet and delicate, soft and intricate marble and bronze sculptures was like giving my inspiration a much needed vitamin.

Outside it continued to rain and pour. My feet got totally soaked. I looked around for a hot dog stand, hoping to end the day with some yummy and steamy fake meat. Alas, the hot dog vendors were else-wear. I skipped over puddles to get to the sculpture garden pavilion and got a big cup of hot chocolate with a generous scoop of marshmallows. Tis the season to be jolly!

Comments

Popular Posts