On Becoming a US Citizen

This post is dedicated to Mrs. Dekker: a lover of cats, wonderful painter and tolerant lady who reads this blog. 


 The world wasn't created with countries nor borders or rulers, these were all things we smart humans made up to make life more difficult. Nevertheless, I understand and respect the traditions and even some of the history that has come out of our creations.

I had the privileged and honor of witnessing my sweet friend's Citizenship ceremony this week. Privilege because she shared this important milestone with me and honor because I know what she and all going through the ceremony had to endure to arrive to that point.

The road to US citizenship through Naturalization is paved with thorns and potholes. It requires a lot of money, a lot of time, being open to the government asking very personal questions about your life and ultimately having to  memorize 100 history questions on which you will be interrogated. Then comes the easy part, the interview where you will be asked crazy questions that must be asked because there are terrible people in the world. Questions like:

1. Have you ever tortured anyone?
2. Have you ever been a member of a Communist or Nazi party?
3. Have you ever been a prostitute?

Being a citizen of a country means so many things, implies responsibilities and only as a foreigner can you truly appreciate the full hypocrisy of some of those things and the greatness of others which the natural-born citizens take for granted.

This week, I was giddy to see my buddy swear her oath. We are from the same roots: citizens of the world with a touch of British, she more than me.

I arrived a few minutes before the ceremony and was ushered into a "guest" room separated from the candidates for Citizenship. There were 70 people nervously awaiting the oath, the final steps in becoming a citizen, the promise to not get detained as often when traveling, the hope to get a better job, a better life. Thirty-four countries were present. Each citizen from their own country stood as their country was named.

"Chad, Denmark, Ethiopia, Ghana..." the list of countries read on.

Awaiting the moment



 I got a text, "Long live the Queen!" then the United Kingdom was called and my friend stood. Her Victorian style chignon poised perfectly on the top of her head. Queen Victoria would have been proud.



The 70 candidates raised their hands and promised: (click on the blog here to open it)

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."




Then some scared, some nervous, some annoyed, some happy all became US Citizens.
"Did they spell my name right?"

"Did they spell my name right?"

They spelled his name right

"Hi, Mom!"


"Escribieron mi nombre correctamente?"

We tried to celebrate by going to an English tea house, but it wasn't deemed authentic enough so opted for another restaurant.
Tuna poke and crab balls. 




We ended the day with coffee because it is the best international drink that exists!

Comments

Popular Posts