Sunrise Sunrise

The sun is rising gently over the fields surrounding my house. The streets are quiet except for the happy chipping of birds. I love dawn, always have. Dawn gives you a moment to mentally rest before the entire day starts. You can reflect on what's happened, project what should happen then begin as the sun rises. When I was in highschool it was my moment of silence where I would walk my dopey golden retriever, Chiquito, behind our house and my spunky grey cat Peaches would follow. I would then go home and have Dunkin Donuts coffee before anyone woke up. Occasionally my dad, in the Army, would wake me up around 5 to go running with him. He claims not to be a morning person but some of my best memories with him are running in the dawn and having the jog end with sunshine or having breakfast in the dawn before kicking off the day. (Daddy, if you are reading this remember when we had breakfast by the lake by Mount Rainer? That was my favorite breakfast ever) In Baltimore when I was in college and grad school I never wrote midnight papers, I like to sleep and write much better in the morning, so I would set my alarm for 3 or 4 AM depending on the paper and wake up with darkness, type a few hours and then see the sun rise and the world begin its day. Here in Desenzano, I haven't seen the sun rise so often. I've had no dog to walk or papers to write but this morning is special. The air is starting to be warm bringing with it life, flowers and spring. I think spring and fall dawns are my favorite because they are cool enough for a sweater and you can look forward to the day. If I had a big dog I would go for a walk around the cow fields now, but since I don't I will prepare the teeny tiny espresso maker, heat up some milk and make a cappuccino.
Spring is almost here!
Here is a great song called "Sunrise" by Norah Jones:

Comments

Popular Posts