Amore, Deep Fried

Valentine's Day came to warm up the most annoying cold winter of my life.
"Ti Amo" fruit cakes for all the sweethearts out there.

 It snowed for 10 days in Italy, according to AGI, causing 500 million euros in damage, 80 thousand acres of damaged agriculture, 250 thousand of liters of milk gone bad and destroying 10% of all trees (olive, fruit, nuts). I think I left the house maybe three times, two of those were to walk in the wind to mass. Our local priest was a bit more chipper, he is normally Oscar the Grouch. Finally I decided that if the temperature was going to be like Sweden I was going to do like the Swedish. I dug out the super thick and warm wool sweater I bought in a thrift store in Sweden (the sweater is from Dale of Norway though).
Staying warm

I love that I got this baby for 40 kronor, like 4 euros or 6 bucks and 70 pesos. Muy bueno. Gotta love having to convert currency. Then the air was static, so bad it made my hair stand strait up, so I have been sporting a braid for the last 3 weeks to keep it in place.
Woooo!!!

The same old french braid got old so I tried a few variations: Dutch braids and finally a crown braid. I didn't leave the house on those days so I knew I wouldn't get stared at like a total weirdo or a Lord of the Rings fan. "See that girl? She must be stuck on the Renaissance and speaks a Gaelic hybrid with her freaky online friends." No...not me...not yet at least. If I had another winter like this I might start doing shots of vodka though.
Awesome. All the flying hairs tucked away

It deserves a picture online.

 Finally I picked up my Kurbits embroidery, that is Swedish in style, and worked on it. Not bad.
My Kurbits embroidery project (a kitchen decoration)

I am really tired of the wind, the cold, chapped hands and static hair. No amount of colorful sweaters, cool braids or embroidery can take away my love for the sun. The colors of the Swedish stuff are so cheerful and they work to cheer one up. But I miss the sun.

Finally Valentine's Day arrived in the shining full splendor of the sun. All the sappy love it promised melted the snow clouds away. I carried El Gordo and Bentley out to feel the sun on their fur, they blinked like traumatized children who had never seen the sun. It made me feel guilty. Poor guys, one day I will find a garden for them to play in, one day. But the sun arrived. It made me realize how rotten the winter was making me feel and how many things I still have to love and feel grateful for. For Valentine's Day I am grateful for these 14 things:

1. Sunshine and Vitamin D
2. My two fat cats
3. Flowers, even the ones I am allergic to
4. The sweet dog that daily wags her tail when I pass her house to toss the trash.
5. Mozzarella, prosciutto crudo and basil panini
6. My bed
7. Singing "Tea for Two" with my mom
8. The crazy faces my dad makes
9. Imitating my mom and dad with my brother and laughing till it hurts. (Sorry Daddy)
10. The weird priest. I like him more now that I understand what gets on his nerves.
11. My mother-in-laws home remedies for everything
12. Burts Bees lip balm
13. My American girlfriend who has brought me soft tissue from the Military store more than once. She is the best.
14. The local cows that made it passed the storm and will make good cheese again one day. (the cows are producing 15% less milk. Who can blame them? At -21 degrees I would not want to be a cow outside and would kick any farmer trying to milk me. I'd rather be a burger than freeze)

On Valentines' Day the secret chef put on his bakers hat and came to make a secret dessert to show how sweet he is. He doesn't make it on the list because he surpasses it. If there were a list it would be hidden, on the top of a mountain hard to reach, in a cave then impossible to find. His fabulousness is exclusive and non-bloggable. It keeps him mysterious and the babes from hunting him down. But his cooking is bloggable. This handsome chef is from the south of Italy and like southerners of the USA they like to fry. He whipped up some dough, let it sit, sprinkled it with sugar and spice and everything nice then deep fried it. They came out crunchy, sweet and so good. I had 2 for dinner (no avoiding gluten here!) and one with jam for breakfast. Love, Deep Fried. (Daddy your little girl might do some more growing!)




I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day and know that each person is a miracle and loved because they exist. We were all created with love.

Comments

Popular Posts