See Naples then Die


I am just back from a week of going around the area of Naples. I have to say, I wish I would have visited Naples first before any other city. If I had seen it first I would have gone back many more times. Naples is by far now my favorite city. It has everything: layers of history from the Greeks to Spain, and even Turkey. Naples has intense architecture from each period from Pompeii to glamorous mansions built around 1910 along Via Caracciolo and the narrow streets all with stairs and each home with a view of the Mediterranean Sea or mysterious Vesuvius Volcano. There are dozens of churches each with a meaning and story. And then, my favorite part: the food! Oh, Naples has the best food I have tasted in all of Italy. All of these wonderful things and history would never be possible if one element was missing: the people. The people of Naples are the most important element that makes the city vibrant, poetic, alive, intense and meaningful. After a week in Naples I decided to blog about my views and experiences on topics such as food and museums (I visited at least 5). However, my experience in Naples was wonderful mainly because of the people of Naples and I decided that for my first blog I want to express why I want to be reincarnated into a Neapolitan in my next life. . I wish I lived in Naples, I wish that in my next life I can be Neapolitan. Why? Here are 5 reasons I wish I could be from Naples:

1. Neapolitan people are gorgeous. Hands down. They win the prettiest of Italy award. I have never seen so many beefy sexy confident women in my life. The women in Naples are strong and gorgeous. The people talk with their eyes, hands, have gorgeous eyes, flowing curly hair and round arrogant bums. Yes, these women have got curves are not ashamed of them at all.


2. Si mangia bene (you eat good). Oh....the food....I have entered a city and smelled the food as I arrived. We were driving through Campania (the region of Naples), went through a tunnel and then, I smelled it. A combination of fried food, pizza, sweets, smog and sea air. The people of Naples are creative with their food, they put their soul in it and their soul tastes good.
Neapolitan Pastries

La vera pizza

3. The traffic. Dude, on Monday morning I found myself in the back of a taxi hearing him talk about his female problems on the phone while he drove in the opposite direction on a one way street and I felt totally comfortable with his swerving driving skills. In Naples there is order in the traffic. The rules are that you flow like a river and that's it. Sometimes you flow harder, sometimes you stall and sometimes you swim backwards like a salmon but it works. I want to drive in the opposite direction now and be a Neapolitan taxi driver.

4. I want to be from Naples in my next life because of the Language! Aw....Neapolitan is heavy and poetic and strong and whimsical and romantic, sexy, rough, short and all encompassing. One word can mean 10 things and 10 words can mean....nothing. In another life I want to be a strong Neapolitan grandmother who knows the real language and can work it in and out of the ears of everyone in the family, teachers, baker, police, and store owners. Neapolitan is magic.

5. The romance....I thought Italians being romantic was a myth. This whole idea that the men woo you and the women kill you with a look came just from a stereotype. But in Naples? This is the city that oozes intense love and passion. I have never seen so many couples in any other city like I did in Naples. These were serious couples too. The guys looked committed to their girl and the girls were owning their man. From the park benches to the little corners between buildings to in wide open spaces there were couples whispering, cuddling, looking at each other with exaggeratedly intense "come hither eyes" that would make Marylin Monroe look boring. Girls flinging their hair back and dudes looking around to make sure no other guy was watching his girl. Old lonely men puffing away at a cigarette and watching. Hot steamy stuff I tell you. I want to be one of those girls in my next life, flirting scandalously in public places like the metro.. For now I don't have the nerves but in my next life I will have a sultry deep Neapolitan voice and scare all the boys with my killer eyes. I can't imagine living in Naples and not being in love or with a broken heart.

And lastly...I want to be from Naples because of the view. The city, the history, castles, palaces and volcano Vesuvio all reflect in the blue green waters of the Gulf of Napoli. It is enough to break your heart while you fall in love and regret not being Neapolitan. They say in Italian "Vedi Napoli poi muori" meaning "See Naples then die" it means that you must see Naples in your life before you kick the bucket and I agree. If I were a tour guide for Italy I would promote Naples first.






Comments

Popular Posts