TV Guilty Pleasures

I'm not a fan of most TV. I would rather curl up with a good book, bake, have a good chat etc. However there are occasions where I get really intrigued by a show. Most of them are downright trashy. There is something in human nature that attracts us to watch things that we don't really agree with such as:

1. High school fights....terrifying but thrilling
2. People getting pulled over by the cops...I never know whose side to be on. On one hand I feel sympathy for the driver, but on the other hand I wonder if the driver was driving like a maniac.
3. People slowly getting sun burned on the beach while arrogantly applying tanning oil. That happens a lot in NJ.


Anyway, the TV shows that I hate to admit that I like are:

1. The Real Housewives of Atlanta (There is something about Nene)
2. The Bachelor 
3. 19 Kids and Counting
4. Millionaire Matchmaker

All of these vile shows really stem from one root: reproduction and copulation. The one that has fascinated and horrified me recently is the one with all of the kids:

"19 Kids and Counting."

I'm not really sure where to begin with these guys so let's start with mating rituals. (Mama: the Duggars are an interesting family in Arkansas who have 19 kids)



They don't allow their daughters to wear pants, date, kiss nor hold hands till marriage. The girls are not even allowed to be alone with their future husbands till they are married. Then, once married, they are expected to immediately make babies and many of them. In one way this reminds me of other suppressant societies around the world. The dad chooses the husbands.
Suggesting a marriage

It makes me think that the girls have no idea what marriage is. It makes me think that this is all very tribal (the dad picks the husband). It makes me think that the girls barely get to know their vagina when they get pregnant and the fun is over. (Sorry, mama). Do the Dugger (or equivalent) girls know that marriage will include lots of dirty laundry, bill discussions, decision discussions and other mundane things that they don't worry about when dating?
Almost a kiss


 How will they feel sharing their first kiss in front of a crowd at their wedding?


Weddings are very stressful events and sharing a first kiss in front of thousands of puritan wierdos is a romance killer!

I feel sad for these girls growing up in America (freedom is supposed) where they have the law on their side to express themselves but their small recluse society shuns them. There are other dating rituals this reminds me of:

1. Arranged marriages: dad and mom pick a mate. My parents would have picked an owner of a hamburger restaurant for the free burgers with fries. "French fries always make you happy!" my mom would chirp.
2. Yemen Conservative societies: girls would get killed if they spoke to their husband before the wedding


3. Zulu tribe: Negotiating how many cows the husband will give the father-in-law in exchange for his daughter.

How many cows would I be worth? Is my worth based on a cow? Is theirs? No.

4. Southern Sudan: the wedding isn't considered real until the woman bears two children
"I now pronounce you man and wife"

5. Yugur (China): the groom shoots his bride three times with a bow and arrow.
6. Congo (my favorite): the mother of the bride, or the new mother in law accompany the new couple for their first night. She teaches the bride how to have intercourse properly.
"Remember the yoga poses? Just try those to start"

The Duggar's are not very far from this. I would not blink if Michelle Duggar gave her girls a good sit down before their wedding night.
The yoga poses worked
Now what?

Other parts of the Duggar's are fairy-tale like. Twenty kids, one giant ranch, seemingly adoring parents. They all get along. But the underlying theme is suppression.

It doesn't sit well with me and I would love for one of the kids to break loose, apply for college and use their own mind to decide what they truly believe in, what they like and whom they choose to love. Being traded from dad to husband is just no way to live, and at such a young age.


Comments

Popular Posts