Felines Getting Along

My eyes droop around 8:30 on most nights. Tonight was a late one for me and I felt industriously good: I baked, cleaned a toilet and cleaned the floors on-top of a busy day at work. Around 9:45 I felt sleepy...ah a good day. A shriek of terror followed by gurgles of anger erupted from the basement floor. "They got a mouse!" I thought and went running in my clogs, as best as one can run in clogs, to see what the terror was about. Bentley hid terrified in a bookcase, El Gordo took one look at me and went with guilt behind the heater...no mouse was to be found. It was over a little plush turtle that Bentley had been playing with. El Gordo was jealous.

I picked up the trembling Bentley and saw his neck had been viciously attacked by a fat beast.Why, I ask. Why after years together must El Gordo attack his sweet brother? Doesn't he see Bentley's good qualities? Bentley is a thoughtful sweet animal, he tries to help when you are sick or sad. He is strait forward in expressing what he wants and is sometimes too curious or demanding. He lives with passion. Can't El Gordo see that? Bentley also has one and a half teeth...so it's not a fair fight.

El Gordo is a fat pompous but very adorable cat. Ardent patron of cuisine and lover of soft napping spots. He is sensitive beyond comprehension and jealous to the point of concern. If he is offended he will avoid you for days (we had a fight once that lasted a week in silence). If El Gordo were human I would send his fat ass to therapy for his food addiction and sneaky aggression.

It makes me think that we humans are just like the cats sometimes. Some of us are fat, violently sensitive, sweet, demanding, and have dental issues. But the root matter is that it should be easier to get along. Why did El Gordo attack Bentley over a silly toy turtle?
The evil eye (and a bad haircut)

Is it that different that collegues arguing over the exact wording of memos in a meeting? Is that the glittery toy turtle we are after? Proving points, and out of control attacks over things that won't change the outcome of the big picture in life.  What is the big picture? For the kitties the big picture should be spending their senior years in blissful comfort, playing, soft food and naps.
Opposing viewpoints

It just makes me sad that El Gordo is behaving abominably, knows he is doing it and makes me wonder if there is something instinctual that makes us all fat assholes mean like my cat from time to time. Are we wired by nature to be mean? Does jealousy over things cause us to slap each other around?

On those lines of contemplation I'm off to bed. And for anyone concerned: El Gordo is spending tonight in his travel cage. Bentley is fine, with a scratched ear and neck , but relieved to spend the night far from his tormentor.
Jealousy killed the cat


Comments

Popular Posts