Italy On Strike

Roman Taxis on Strike
This week many Italian workers have gone on strike because they are against the new tax laws of the Monti Government. Personally, I miss the old nasty leader, Silvio Berlusconi for a few reasons: he lowered taxes to no taxes on the first home, opened many hospitals, and was shamelessly scandalous schlepping around with 18 year old girls. Political scandals are so common, every guy denies being bad, then 3 babies come out of nowhere and a male "cuddle buddy" to boot. Berlusconi slept around openly on his wife (she eventually left him), had wild parties with barely legal girls and bragged about it all the time. It makes me hate him for being nasty but I admire him for not lying about it at least. Silvio is not the man to drive around with an "I love my wife" bumper sticker on his car on his way to his lovers house. Being disappointed with Silvio's morals is just that, not being disappointed with some level of surprise as usually happens. "What?! Obama had a lover?" Trust me, that day will arrive. I don't like Silvio but prefer him with his lower taxes and sleazy smile than strait laced Mario Monti who has raised the tax on everything from homes, highways, TV and hospital visits.
Silvio, Italy wants you back but won't admit it yet. It's like a woman...but please come back Silvio, my family income misses you.

Paying 40% in income tax then having to pay more tax for the house, driving and hospital visits is just insane. So, this week, my Italian brothers and sisters that didn't like these new  tax laws went on strike. First the taxis decided not to run because of a changing law affecting the jobs of taxi drivers. Now trucks are on strike against the rising gas prices, tolls on highways and overall tax increase. They got more physical and dove their 18 wheelers to main highways and physically blocked them. Right now, in highways across Italy from Torino to Bari, there are hundreds of Italians who will be forced to sleep in their car on a winter night because they are stuck on a blocked highway. Here is a little video of what is going on in my neck of the woods:

Oh, and for the next 10 days gas stations will be on strike because the price is going too high at 1.56 euros per liter. That is about 7 dollars a gallon! I am all about the strikes and think that the US could learn a lesson or two about modern civil unrest. Wikipedia shutting down online now looks weak in comparison to trucks blocking the nation.
It's going to be a long night tonight for many people stuck between the trucks that just stopped in the highways.

In my home, my sinuses have been on strike. I have thoroughly enjoyed a full blown flu for the last 2 days. That sunny day walking to Garda Lake on Saturday seems so far away. That night I broke down with a raging fever and have slowly been pulling myself back to feeling human. Thank God that veggie soup, and tea are easy to make!

I have been compiling a list of Italian home remedies and quotes on illness and will share them soon. Until then, here are some pictures of the guys that have been keeping me company:

Brothers

YAWN!

back to bed

One way

cheek to cheek
No matter how the world turns or who is on strike their little pattern of sleep, eat, sleep remains the same. I think the cats are the smart ones. They remain peaceful and cause civil unrest only if their food bowl is looking low.
4 ears

Comments

Popular Posts