Tangled in Crafts

I love to call myself a Jackie-of-all-trades and try to accomplish anything that looks interesting. Tire change? I got it. Plumber needed? Look no further. Take apart the dryer? I'm getting my tool box. Pasta? Chef Boyardee can't compete with me! Crafts? They are trouble! I love all crafts! Quilting, scrapbooking, crocheting, cooking (it is a culinary craft), baking and now (drum roll).....Swedish embroidery! Wooot! I really shouldn't be so excited as this can easily become a new obsession pushing me to spend many hours researching the history of it then planning a new thing made following the old tradition. Well, there are a lot of new things that I need to finish. I should confess this to the priest as my gluttony of crafts. Father, I love the quilt cutting board, need to replace my rotary cutter, and would like to begin a king size postal-stamp quilt...I think that would be a little silly though and he might give me a thousand Our Father's for irritating him, or tell me to quilt something for the church, so these are my craft confessions, the things begun and not finished:

1. Couch Afghan: almost finished, then used for 3 months, then decided to finish it
2. Real Scrapbook: I like to use kodak.com for albums for the moms, but I like my own to have more personal notes. I like to glue information leaflets and postcards in it...but have a small pile staring at me from the couch.
3. Sweater: I got the nicest wool from the Sheep and Wool Festival in Maryland....3 years ago? and started a sweater, now hate it, and think I will take it apart and knit it onto the Afghan as an edge.
4. Baby hat: It is missing the top that will only take 10 minutes but it needs to be perfect and I cant decide what to do.
5. Summer dress: all the pattern pieces are cut, but since I cant get my sewing machine voltage transferred to the EU one, the dress needs to wait. Boo...

Joy of joys, all of those projects will be taking the backseat because I have discovered, or rediscovered Kurbits, a folk art style of Sweden. When in Sweden last year, I visited the district that boasts the best consignment stores in the EU. I went strait to the doily section where most of granny's handmade things are found in any country, this is a much more affordable alternative to paying 50 Euros (or 500 Kronors Swedish money) for the same thing called "Handmade artisan crafts" in a tourist shop. In consignment shops things are kosher made by local grannies.There, I had to control myself from buying almost everything. It was so beautiful and well kept! Since then I have been looking for an excuse to make something with the Kurbits look. Now with the fog, there is no better time than to stitch away. Usually Swedish design is cheerful, bright and with simple designs. I finally decided that my kitchen could use a little corner thingy so as I twiddle my thumbs with delight with my big embroidery plans, check out these pictures!

Linen kitchen curtains with Kubits embroidery: it looks exactly the same on the front and the back

A kurbits wool embroidered bench
I really should finish things that I started but feel the need to try something new. I don't know how this will finish...dangerous crafty things could happen here in foggy Desenzano!

Comments

  1. Beautiful! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheep and Wool Fest. at the Howard Co. fairgrounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't make any of these! Mine is coming out more lopsided and not as symetrical as I would like for it to be. But whatever, it is my first try. I loved the Sheep and Wool festival, especially the kebabs.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh right, but you are a Jackie-of-all-trades!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts