Posh Positano

There are videos on this post, so click on my blog so you can see them as they don't appear on email: www.burgersgelato.blogspot.com



One early morning, at 4 AM I awoke to the smell of onions and fish. I tip toed out to the kitchen to discover my mother in law in an excited cooking stupor. She had her sleeves rolled up, her pants rolled up to her ankles and was animatedly chopping and twirling in the kitchen with potatoes and onions flying here and there. I knew it would be a good day to take her out of the house and on a field trip. Mothers need field trips. We all need field trips. They break the ordinary of the day and remind you that an entire beautiful world exists outside of your daily  rituals.

In somewhat of a sleepy daze I watched her cooking away then went back to bed for a while before getting up.

We decided that since the day was young, and no one knew were were leaving so couldn't stop us from leaving that it was a perfect opportunity to escape and drive! Anywhere you drive on the Amalfi coast is beautiful. The chosen destination was food related, naturally. There is super juicy milky soft mozzarella di bufala sold in the mountain town of Agerola called Fior d'Agerola. That round white ball of cheesy goodness took our little Fiat chugging like a tired train up the steep embankments  of the mountains and to the cheese factory. Just as we got there we saw it was closed. Sad. No cheese!

However, it was still early! The Chef and my mother in law were in the depths of a very serious conversation (food related) and going back was not a solution! He turned the little Fiat down the mountain and towards the Amalfi coast we went!


Around some very dangerous corners turned the little Fiat. Down some hills and towards the end of a road and STOP! There was a dog!
Watch out!

A beautiful white shaggy dog came trotting around the mountainous bend toward our car. We got out and I thought "Save the dog!" I called out to the shaggy pooch and he barked at me. Just then, a car came speeding around the bend. I waved my arms to let the driver know that he needed to slow down. Just as the car slowed the shaggy dog growled and barked at the car then ran away barking. We suddenly heard the bleating sound of dozens of sheep crossing the road. The dog wasn't alone! It was a working shepherd dog protecting the dim-minded sheep crossing the road to the other side of the mountain. I was amazed. I know some humans that aren't as intelligent or courageous as that dog.

We slowly inched our way toward the sheep and waited for them to cross before continuing to drive and curve around the mountain side. Normally, I would be terrified and scared to look down the side of the Amalfi coast. The road is narrow and has turns every 30 feet or so. In the summer the road is even more exciting when you turn and see a giant bus trying to turn on the minuscule road. Its like trying to fit a real car on a sidewalk. Just add to the fact that the side walk has a 200 or so foot drop. You start to pray for your soul immediately. A priest I know says that fear stirs faith. My faith soars like a dove when I see a giant bus turning the corner of a cliff with little room left for us to breathe.

Aside from breathing and panic, driving along the coast of Amalfi is incredible. This time with no panic (no buses either) it was soothing and beautiful. I felt like a lucky dog, a golden retriever to be exact. I didn't want the car ride to end.








How many turns can you count?


That is my new house. Can you spot it?






 If you are looking to visit the Amalfi coast and want a quiet little spot check out:

 And if you are looking for a really fancy place check out www.postitano-villa.com:

 Your vacation awaits!






 Ok, Positano, you are amazing. And it keeps going, it keeps being more beautiful and tranquil and incredibly gorgeous.



Possibly one of my favorite pictures


For sure my favorite




The citrus seller

Another favorite picture

I don't know if my mother in law had the same sensation of being a lucky golden retriever but she was pretty happy and light on her feet when we returned home.

Comments

Popular Posts