Moo in Maryland

Today I had a conference in northwestern Maryland = farmland. As I drove there I passed many spectacular farms and wished I could visit them.

I got to the conference and listened to the speakers...


It felt awfully dull.

And boring...

And I felt like Mother Nature was a better option for learning that day. So I left. I left and the wind howled and the rain blew and I was very cold so bought some purple sweatpants and went around the rest of the day in a clown outfit of purple sweatpants and fancy shoes.

My inspiration for photography was gripping my core and I'm sure Ansel Adams (nature photographer) would have been proud.

I was wearing my fancy office shoes but if I have learned anything from being a librarian it is that you must look fabulous and be dressed for a workout at all times. My leather office shoes have put down some miles and I knew they would be up for farm country. "Dewey Decimal number 630", my shoes chimed, and off we went to the dairy farm down the road from the dull convention center.




There we (me and my camera) encountered cows, beautiful cows. Pregnant cows, baby cows, mean cows. I adored them all and wished to bring one home.

My favorite was the cow nursery with the new baby cows.
Welcome to little hoofs, the cow nursery. "Rockabye Baby Cow on a farm hill..."



Hi baby!!!!
 Let me tell you, sometimes it is so worth it to miss conferences or work in general and get away and enjoy God's creatures.


This is the bottle holder



shhhh...baby sleeping


So sweet and curious to see who the visitor was. 


Another fresh sweet smelling baby cow. She smelled like hay and cheese.


I looked at the little tiny brand new born baby cows and felt guilty for thinking that they would grow into steak. "Baby cow, I love steak...I don't want to eat you. But your daddy looks terribly grumpy and peed to scare me off. Soooo...is it ok if I eat him?" Baby cow blinked innocently.

Daddy Bull was mean. He was in a pen with all the fertile ladies and they shoved each other around wanting to be as close to his gonads as possible. I wished I could have told them, "He doesn't deserve you all! You are all pretty and good and can make MILK and he is a smelly mean old bull!" He grunted, possibly farted, and slobbered staring at me with a look that said, "Get off of my property!"  I tip-toed around, walking gently to get a picture of the bovine love nest. Daddy Bull proceeded to pee as close to me as possible. He could have put out a forest fire with that! I saw I wasn't wanted so left.
All the fertile ladies


The place where cow-magic happens

Eating oysters and chocolate

Stud


Guarding the salt block

Back at the farm store they sell all types of yummy milk products.




Oink is also a specialty



The green dot on her head means she is a sacred Indian cow. Just kidding. It means she is pregnant and on her way to get milked.

Full of milk!

I want to drive this!

The tire is almost as big as me!


I loved my time at the farm and was just as happy to drive home and take pictures of the moody fall sky.

I stopped at another farm that is no longer working but seemed like the perfect place for a first kiss. So I covered my hand in kisses and blew kisses in the wind. Don't mind if I do! It seemed appropriate.
Perfect place for a first kiss.











I proceeded to walk along the farm road and had a deep feeling of....death...it felt like I was walking on someones grave. I thought it might be the insanely moody clouds but each step felt like I was walking where people died or were buried. I walked back to the car, then stopped for a moment to read the historical sign and what do you know? This farm used to be a slave farm in the 1780's and the French owners were violently cruel to these slaves. They starved, froze and beat them to death and were so cruel that the local government forced them to sell their farm and leave!

Wow...and to think that the earth remembered that and gave off a vibe of sadness is incredible. This place needs some serious Holy Water and a blessing from a priest to clear it of its pain.

The rest of the drive home was so beautiful and I loved it. The sky was miraculously beautiful and the countryside was like a living poem.




What a view!








 I learned today that nature speaks with noises, smells, colors, wind and that it feels good to visit farms and look in the eyes of the animals that feed us. Thank God for cows.



Comments

Popular Posts