Middle School and "The Calling"

I'm fried right now but will blog a fried-egg blog. I woke up at 5 AM looking at the ceiling contemplating my existence. Being fried usually means wanting to be alone and regenerate like a worm with a tale cut off , but today is a good day. A very good day.

You see, I (insanely) followed my calling. I don't even know if it was a smart idea but I got a call to work with kids and somehow listened to that voice despite being offered better paying and calmer jobs. I wonder if I should have answered my calling to be a nun...but now it is too late. A librarian is sort of in the same family of taking vows of silence and contemplation.

I prayed, boy did I pray, and pray and cry and pray while crying but my answer was always the same: work with kids at a school. I have no idea why, this makes little sense, especially middle school (which I don't think anyone has fond memories of) but here I go back to middle school. I don't even like teens or pre-teens. Does anyone?!

I have never worked with this age group of 11-14 year olds. I'm not sure what to expect but will give them my best creativity, devotion and love for reading as their librarian. Yikes. I could have had a cushy office job right now getting paid so much more...but for some reason this felt like the right step. I am at a loss for words other than "Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy."

I hope they don't beat me up.

Is it ok to wish that?

I hope they love reading as much as I want them to.

I hope I can play Bach's Brandenburg concertos in the library after school. I hope to meet kids with good hearts and hurt hearts and bad hearts. I hope to teach them all that books are powerful and libraries are some of the strongest places they can enter. I hope they learn to properly cite their work and not plagiarize. I hope they think for themselves and not follow what social media and the news feeds them. I hope they realize it is ok to criticize and not think everything is ok. I hope they all get library cards. I hope they check out books. I hope I get some well-loved ear bent books back. I hope I have a messy library to tidy at the end of the day because that means kids used it. I hope my heating always works when it needs to and that my AC does too.

And last but not least, I hope Fatty and Bently don't get sick because my commute is far and I can't rush to their aging aid.

Comments

Popular Posts