Sartorial Questions

I'm sure Coco Chanel would have very easy answers for the following.

I love Coco Chanel. Not only was she a Leo but she was a monster of a woman! A Judy Shapiro plate should be made in her honor. 

It is the end of summer, well, not really but if you look at Jcrew.com and in any store you will think that kids are ready to go back to school and pumpkin muffin season is around the corner. However, something important happened today: Jcrew started having their annual end of summer sale which lasts 48 hours and you can still wear the stuff rather than ordering it in September and waiting for summer to roll around by which time you may or may not have changed weight.

In my case, I have changed weight so need smaller stuff to clothe body. *Moose, do you want to get me a birthday gift? :) Now that I am asking....hold off...it might be yarn or amazon stuff so I can order e-books and knit. I'm not sure.*

Anyway, jcrew is having a sale and the big question is: how long should your shorts be? I know, in the grand scheme of things and priorities in life, the world and news this should be at the far bottom of the totem pole. Yet it is an important question. How long should your shorts be at 33? Or at 23? or at 63? Should shorts be short since they are called short? Or should they be as short as you are comfortable? Are shorts appropriate in bright color (or colour if you prefer)? Should they cover your cellulite or should you embrace your cellulite? We should all embrace our cellulite but should we show it is the question. No, we should not show it. Our cellulite are hidden clouds of wonder and only we know their shapes. I have many other equally important questions rumbling in my noggen if you wish to know. Some of them are the shape and meaning of my next quilt, where to call my next home, if it is appropriate to wear pencil skirts to school and why Lancelot was such a fluffy minded man. I can't stand Lancelot right now.
Why couldn't you take a different street Lancelot?!  She was cursed because of you! And who knows what her knitting looked like before she looked in the mirror and died for you. Her knitting project never was complete! How terrible.
 I was reading poetry  by Tennyson today and Lancelot has major issues. He is too aloof and caused the Lady of Shallot to never finish her knitting project. She looked at him, fell in love and was cursed to die immediately. Knitting project failed! As a yarn enthusiast, this bothers me. Most men in literature have issues. There ought to be a book written about male characters and why women love them. There was a course in college about how readers (even male) associate with female protagonists. I think the same ought to be studied about male protagonists, why we can't associate with them or why are they mostly vile?! I can't think of one right now. Gilbert Blythe? Nope. Lancelot? No. Oh I can think of one! Sherlock Holmes, and he is brilliant only because he lacks any romantic bone in his body. Can we associate with and comprehend Sir Sherlock? No.

 Anyway, back to shopping. How long are your shorts? In Italy women don't wear shorts, and if they do it is with intention, like anything they wear: it has purpose! "I am wearing SHORTS" is proclaimed. But in the US, depending on where you live, social status and educational level shorts are very iffy. What we wear is so codified! Our clothes have meanings and send signals. As Shakespeare would argue:

If I could I would wear tie-die and long dangly earings every warm day and on cold days wear sweater dresses. Done! But there are entire sections in the library dedicated to what we should wear, what it says and how to wear things. I believe it is 646.

The question for the day is: 7 inches, 4 inches, or 3 inch inseam shorts? One thing I know for sure: they must be in cotton, pure cotton because your skin enjoys natural fibers and natural fibers are good for your soul.

Now back to understanding Lancelot. And Coco would recommend any short to be long enough to cover the chub and in black because black was her favorite color. She would also say to order a size up. Thanks Coco, now off to order red, we are close enough to the mason dixon line and in the south color is good.

Comments

Popular Posts