Book review, prayer and feel good music

Two blogs in one day. What?! It is a holiday, a rainy one at that and I have the writing spirit in me. Tomorrow I will be working with the munchkins so won't have time or energy to write for sure. Here goes. First of all, Bethany, you are the best. Thanks for your book recommendations! I went to Bethany beach this weekend and it was so relaxed and positive just like you!

So what does one do when one finds oneself feeling down? Current day magazines and media will say to rush to get medicine and therapy. Well, some of that might work. But I think that when we feel down one we have lost a piece of ourselves that gave us will and direction to live. I use a combination of prayer, reading, and doing things that I know I enjoy (writing, music and taking pictures) to come back.

I just finished Bethany's recommendation "Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle!" By Doreen Virtue and didn't expect to like it at all, but did! How much can  you trust a book with "Sparkle" being in the title?

I typically steer towards novels or non-fiction so was hesitant to read a "self help" book but this little book was like a Gatorade! Here are my five favorite parts of the book. I know, it's not a comprehensive book review, but it is the best I can do before bedtime!

1. It talked about the way drama is addicting for some people because it raises cortisol levels and when you withdraw from drama, or dramatic people that level drops and  you feel like you need it.

2. It mentioned avoiding watching traumatizing media because we can actually get secondhand trauma by seeing violent things on TV or having constant exposure to it. I believe that is true.

3. I liked how it discussed people who have experienced trauma, what that is and how to heal naturally from it. She explained medically how our bodies react with dopamine to trauma. I don't think I have been traumatized but it is good to know.

4. I liked that there was a chapter related to natural ways to deal with dramatic people and situations. One way was prayer, (yay!) stating that it creates an effect called the Mother Theresa effect which helps us understand why things happen spiritually other than just looking at the facts and boo-hooing.

5.  It mentioned avoiding certain work situations or types of work to avoid burn out and choosing calmer situations to avoid stressing our minds and bodies.

Overall, I think this book is worth re-reading. The word "sparkle" made me think of  My Little Pony and cheerleading so I was apprehensive to accept its recommendations.

Prayer. I know for those that don't believe in God it is hard to imagine praying. But even if you don't believe in God it is good to pray to Him. God listens even if you don't feel so sure about Him listening. There are some problems that we can't tackle on our own and we need be humble and whisper our request for help. Just remember, it is always about "thy will be done" not what you want but what God wants. It's hard to be open to recognizing that what we want isn't always the best.

 The last few days I have been focusing on how to pray rather than just saying the words and hoping that God and angels hear my petitions. I read an excellent pamphlet that recommended praying before you make a decision and after a decision. It has been a challenge for me to discern things and even with prayer and faith it is hard to make out the right choices. So I have resorted to beefing up my prayer and faith by writing down verses that give me courage and putting them in places where I know I will see them. One of my favorites is, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all they ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3: 5-6. It really means so much to me to know that I need to stop "leaning to my own understanding" and need to reach deeper and further in my faith to comprehend what my calling in life is and to accept that with peace. I've made so many decisions based on faith and with lots of fear and hesitation jumped blindly willing to try everything. This time, I'm not sure how or where to jump but am glad to remember that it is never my decision entirely but I need to be guided by my faith and have that as my strength to move on.

Feel good music. Today was great. It rained. It poured. It was the perfect weather for cleaning. Cleaning is another great way to make space for the new in life. I cleaned out cabinets. And as I was cleaning I sang my heart out. Bless the Chef who put up with my old time gospel songs but then. Then, my friends I remembered a song I loved way back when I was in college. We used to be waitresses singing and dancing to this as we cleaned the restaurant after closing at midnight. Dancing tired waitress had fun with this song. Watch out! It reminded me to slow down. I need to get things right but not all at once in one shot. I thought about this and laughed as I sang the song with my cats and danced in my room with them. Yes, it is by Juvenile. Enjoy:




Comments

Popular Posts