St. Augustine, Florida

St. Augustine was our last stop before heading home to Jersey.



The Seminole Indians lived there till the 1560's when a boat of Spaniards landed and they decided to take over, kill the Seminole and look for the fountain of youth. If I were the Seminole I would have pointed them in the direction of sinking sand. It would be the "portal" of youth. Alas, the Seminole disappeared and the Spanish built a fort, a town, and it is still there today filled with adorable shops, overpriced hotels and good food.










My favorite part of St. Augustine was going walking around at night and seeing all the pretty Christmas lights that were still up.
Town Hall, St. Augustine, Florida. This is the building where the Mayor works. I might run for mayor here next term...






My favorite part of the trip was going to the beach. The water seemed endless. The beach was full of sunshine, seashells and happy people with their dogs. I enjoyed filling my pockets with  new seashells for our Nativity set for next Christmas. And the beach (when it isn't crowded) is relaxing and gives you a sense that everything is going to be ok.

















If I could do it over we would have stayed at a much cheaper hotel on the beach and gone into the town just at night to stroll around. St. Augustine is quite small and you can basically see it all in about half an hour. Ocean waves on the other hand don't get tiring after a few hours.

Comments

Popular Posts