Jungle Adventure

I type this wearing wool gloves, a thick Norwegian sweater and a neck gaiter. The cold in NJ this time of year is determined to freeze you to the bone. I just convinced El Gordo to sit on my lap and keep me warm. Never mind, the cat hopped off.

 It seemed surreal to head into the rainforest of Florida last week.

 We took off from cranky NJ both of us in crabby spirits that had begun to seem normal behavior. The general attitude in NJ / NYC is cranky alternating with explosively shocked / happy / angry but the element of explosion is always involved with the liberal use of the F word. We took off to the deep south and were shocked in the airport in Charlotte, NC as all the airport personnel were polite! And they were friendly! And they said "Excuse me, Honey" and "Excuse me, Baby". It felt like we had stepped foot in a sweet, slower paced and gentler USA. Where were we? The South, Honey. The South.

I laughed with some hysteria  when I saw the 24 passenger tiny toy plane we were to board from Charlotte to take to Gainesville, FL. It was no bigger than a bus with wings.



 I am afraid of flying. The plane took off speeding down the runway going as fast as my car could go then took a little hop and skipped into the air. How, I don't know, but it took off.

It landed like a roller coaster coming downhill and breaking for you to get off the ride. I'm surprised I didn't scream.

We tumbled off the plane and saw there were a total of 3 terminals in the whole airport which was the size of a little supermarket. One, two, three terminals.



The one and only waiting area.


Six flights  day, and the jungle of alligators, palm trees and wildlife surrounding the little airport. We were in swamp country with more snakes and alligators than humans.

For some city-girl reason I thought the hotel shuttle would automatically make rounds around the arrivals gate. But in this tiny town there is one minivan called a "shuttle" and we apparently needed to book it in advance. Thankfully, the driver swung by to pick us up along with the pilot, co-pilot and one flight attendant from our flight who were staying in the only good hotel in town. That was an experience I won't forget. I don't think it would ever happen that you land in NYC and have to share a cab with the pilot of an F-370 en route to the only hotel. It was a pretty country experience, something from Little House on the Prairie in a way. The first night in Gainesville we had the best sushi I've had in the world. The owner boasted of knowing where his pigs came from and how cute they were as piglets. They must have been adorable because the pig belly dumplings were to die for. We went for seconds.









Comments

Popular Posts