Citra, Florida

The sky calm before the storm as it gets ready with a blizzard of 24-36 inches of snow as I sit here recalling the citrus groves in Florida in a town called, Citra. Why should it be called any other name? Before you read any further: my email doesn't work to respond. So I'm really sorry if I haven't responded to your email!  

Newscasters are terrifying NJ / NYC residents calling this an "explosive" storm, "historic" storm, "epic" storm. I don't know why the weather channel doesn't simply accept that in the north east of the US it simply snows, and snows a lot in January - March. 
24-36 inches looming on the horizon

Blizzard  "Juno"

I couldn't agree more.


Last week, however, I was cruising down the flat straight back country roads of central Florida on my way to pick some oranges. I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. This is significant freedom to me since today it was 21 degrees F for the high and I wore six layers on the top, and two on the bottom with heavy boots. Six layers on the top = camisole, t-shirt, wool long sleeve shirt, cashmere sweater, vest over sweater, down coat over it all. On the bottom I had my wool Ice Breaker underpants and pants over them. The roads were covered in a moderate layer of snow of only three inches. So, wearing a t-shirt and jeans in Florida felt excellent like running naked as a baby in a sunny field of daisies possibly with the Beatles playing.

I was thrilled to see real oranges on trees and started my day right: with a big plate of Southern Breakfast. It was so hard to resist these local treats so I didn't and on one day allowed myself to go for the full fat breakfast of biscuits with gravy, bacon, eggs and hash browns.
How to gain 5 pounds in 4 days.

 "Would you like a refill on your coffee, Baby?" Yes, Ma'am. I think I will move into a hotel in the South just to have someone refill my coffee and call me Baby while I inhale bacon with a side of cholesterol. 

After eating my 10,000 calorie breakfast I rolled into the rental car and took off happy as a lark in the direction of the citrus groves.



The drive there was so romantic. I passed by dozens of horse farms and cattle farms.















 I was still in awe of the sweet Spanish moss. Driving passed them doesn't get tiring or dull. It was my same sensation as walking in Venice and discovering one cute bridge after another, or one new gelato after another. Seeing the moss waving in the breeze was just as awe-inspiring. I would like to sit out there for a full week and watch it. 

The citrus groves were nothing less than spectacular. I loved seeing the bright orange balls hang like Christmas ornaments from the pretty trees.










 I couldn't believe how cheap they were! I got some fresh squeezed juice that tasted sweet like honey.  







Then drove home with the windows down and deep southern country music drifting out of the windows. It was a beautiful day. 

Comments

Popular Posts