Mountains

When I was growing up I loved the look of the mountains in the distance, white peaked, shining in the sun, mysterious and strong. They made me feel like all the problems in my little world were trivial in comparison to their greatness, age and endurance.

Similarly, the snow mountains that have grown around here, have made me feel the same. No, I have not had the same sense of wonder that I do with real mountains. Nevertheless, the snow has managed my life for the last 2 months proving that it too is strong, mysterious, and great. It has the ability to stop my little part of NJ from functioning, it has the power to stop my little world and it's problems in it's tracks, at least till it gets plowed. While we wait for it to get plowed we are all stuck indoors and are incapable of doing much mischief or good. These last few months with the snow have been a bit of a pain, but also a reminder to slow down and to consider things with a new approach. 

I might not have enjoyed this winter, but it has made me carefully analyze my life. There are few options on snow days: do the laundry, make some food, talk to the cats, read, then you sit there watching the snow cover your car in 10 inches and think of your life: everything you did till that point. I have thought of it all, rehashed my life from my favorite purple pants in 1st grade till now and came to some interesting conclusions: live with less, live more sincerely, accept that I love talking about  my cats, eat more iron rich foods, call my mom and mother in law more frequently. I realize that all of this working I have been doing has sort of distanced  me from the things and people I need to be closest to. Well, the mountains have a way of making you realize the problems are small and what matters is love, passion and of course food.








Currently awaiting the next 7.8 inches to snow tonight. At least it is February and do you know what that means? Next month it will be March, then April! Then it will be to warm to snow and I can go back to enjoying life as I knew it before I became a Jersey Eskimo. 

Comments

Popular Posts