Blizzard

We've had 12 snowstorms in the past 9 weeks. This year we have had 43 inches of snow and today we will get another 10-18 inches. yay. Most of it has stuck around since the weather has been below freezing. NJ people are nervous, fidgety and firey normally but with over a yard of snow? They get downright grouchy (myself included). Yesterday, when news spread that there would be a bonafide blizzard, people started planning for hibernation. Which leads me to ask, if this is a blizzard, then what were all the other really thick snowstorms called? Anyway, the blizzard:

Before the blizzard:

The waterpipes are frozen inside and outside

Mountains of ice and snow that can't melt

We dutifully went to the supermarket to buy enough milk and bread to hold us over the next 48 hours and this is what we saw.


all the good stuff is gone

No leche


pick one

Get in line!
It sort of makes you feel like the end of the known world is near.

Luckily, there was some lactose free milk left and we got a gallon of that. On the bright side of things, there always is a bright side, I feel GREAT. The last three weeks were rough between us taking turns being really sick, sliding around over the ice-encrusted streets, and having really low energy to deal with weather that requires the energy of Vikings. I didn't feel like myself at all. I felt like a deflated balloon being forced to keep flying. No bueno.

However there were somethings that boosted my mood in the last few days. The first one is that I joined a massive puppy hunt. The little town where I work is very small and united. The type of place where everyone knows each other. The news that a puppy went missing in this cold, with 3 ft of snow and an impending blizzard sent the town ablaze with compassion. Dozens of people young and old came out to look for the lost beagle. I, naturally, joined in to look for the little thing. She was found this morning in someones garage sleeping away as another foot of snow piled up outside.

Another thing that made me feel great: Costco's grapefruit. Boy, I had no idea the Costco here had such good grapefruit. It has been so sweet, juicy and divine to munch on that for breakfast.
The Chef's creation: Grapefruit and blueberries in orange juice

Blueberries

And lastly, I started exercising again. My legs didn't exactly remember what to do, the music I was used to sounded new, and the girls I walk with all smiled when they saw I was back.

So that is it for now! The rest of the day will be spent uncluttering the basement and finishing a heartbreaking book I am reading.

Here are some pictures tracking blizzard.
Before the blizzard

One hour in

Two hours in and getting covered

white out visibility

"Let's stay inside today."

Snow halfway up the tree

Fatty watching the snow fall

Comments

Popular Posts