If it runs like a Deere her eyes light up

My neighbors have been on my mind and in my senses for the last 11 months. They have filled my nostrils, cleared away my asthma, and given my husband and I many reasons for keeping the windows closed. Am I obsessed with them? No, they just smell bad. See, my neighbors are cows, real ones that is. I live on the edge of the country where the air is filled almost every month with the strong smell of cow manure. Gross right? You get used to it and start to figure out what the farmer is doing, and when it doesn't smell right you know it isn't your neighbors, it could be another farmer passing with his pooping chickens or pigs. But 99% of the time the smell is from the cows.
Chanel No. 5 can't compete with  his Eau de ManurĂ©.
Why did the Roman Chicken cross the road? She was afraid someone would Caesar.

When I was a kid in Washington State my neighbor had 2 dumb cows, a tree tire swing and grandchildren that never visited. I took advantage of this sterling opportunity and was over there often probably pestering but also petting their cows, feeding her oats, swinging eagerly on their swing, playing in the hay in their barn and listening to the grandma as she made cookies that I gratefully ate. She was the best. These memories made me curious about seeing the cows here. I hadn't met these neighbors since I arrived because they live about 5 minutes away through a tunnel and a pasture where I wouldn't want to walk alone. You never know what could happen to a female going for a stupid walk alone in the pasture: kidnapping, stampede of angry cows, getting run over by a car, attack by sheep, mangled leg by dog, rape by a horse or man...or just twisting an ankle. But bad and scary things could happen when walking in the fields alone. I avoided it but was filled with curiosity to go that way. We finally made it for a walk and loved it. Several families were biking or walking in the country roads so it wasn't creepy at all.
This makes me want to sing John Denver songs: Country Roads take me home to the place I belong, West Virginia...


The field and home from the back. Che bello. You can also see the fog starting.

The way to the cows is quite nice, first there is an olive orchard, an old 14th century chapel next to the cemetery then a dirt road that passes the farms filled with cows and horses. I am a fan.
Black beauty
Tilling up the land

14th Century Chapel

The main farm that I like has cows, they look happy and healthy and make milk that is used for local cheese like mozzarella and ricotta. The owner wasn't around so we allowed ourselves a closer look at the cows.

moooo

The farm house is beautiful too, and people still live in there. It is a fantastic old farmhouse made in the Veneto region style using both brick and stones and with terracotta roofs. The bricks are usually on the edges of the buildings reinforcing the home and the stones are used in the middle and reinforced with cement. They are solid houses. The farmer also has a little garden next to the old stables. I think it is cute.
The pretty country farm house

The garden: can you spot the farmers wife? hehe

They have a savage dog so I don't think I will make their acquaintance anytime soon, if ever, or eat their cookies.  After living here for almost a year I am totally used to the smell of cow manure and don't mind it a bit. I considered for a few seconds the option of going to work with the cows in the farm but the idea of real poop, an angry cow or a creepy farmer soon dissuade me. I like wildlife, hiking, plants and living "green" but living in Baltimore for 8 years has me quite spoiled as a city girl. The rough part of me willing to exert myself physically is better left in my 20's. Any further attempts to exert myself will go towards running or doing things in civilization. I spotted a sweet blond pile of fluffy looking hay that called my name and gleefully hurled myself on top of it. Bad idea.
Not soft and fluffy

I got many small scratches and a minor allergic reaction that made us hurry back to get my inhaler and disinfect my skin. My chances of being a country girl are ruined but I'm ok with that. I don't think tractors are sexy. I am more likely to sing country roads take me home to the resort with a hot shower, where I belong...I will almost never go for walks there but wanted to share what I see every time I leave my place looking at it from the distance. Just for fun, I will leave with this song:

Comments

  1. Wow, the area where you live looks so beautiful... even with the stinky cow poop! hehe Thanks for the pictures of the cute cows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts