Granny: CEO with Determination of an Olympic Athlete

As I sit here in my office and comfy chair I can't help but feel guilty for being physically lazy. It is of no wonder that people  of my generation get fat and squishy and don't know how to take care of themselves. The last week I spent with my grandma was one of the most physically active I have had in years. Granny, though 92, runs a her life and home like a tough CEO running their business like a tight ship and likes things to be done well.

 I cooked as she liked it, I washed the dishes as they needed to be done, I ran here and there and up and down the stairs and hauled laundry and hung it on the line, and ran out when it started to rain to take it off the line. And I hooked up granny's new baby-monitor to hear her and she caught on quickly and was soon "suggesting" what else I should do. Granny knows how to live life well and was teaching me how to do it!

Her body has gone through so much and she rarely complains because complaining to her means giving up on life, giving up on trying and letting death slowly sink through.

My granny is fiercely strong, though she walks with great effort like a one year-old needing help. I was so impressed with her determination and tenacity to keep going.

Each morning I could see the aches and pains she had by her pained expression but she woke up each day with one purpose to accomplish something that day. Professionals could spend thousands of dollars on "mentor" training to learn something my grandma could teach them "Wake up with purpose to be someone and do something for someone." She is a "goal setter" and is such an inspiration. The day we went to see my church, granny wasn't feeling so great but as soon as we suggested going out I saw a determination in her eye and knew she was going for the gold like an olympic champion! She carefully got ready and with so much effort walked down the stairs. Each step was like running a mile for her. I was immensely proud of seeing her determination knowing how much pain her little body was in. But she had courage and carefully did it, risking each step with unsure feet.

Senior managers could take a "professional development" course from my granny on management and networking skills. Each day she wants to help someone get something done. After her good breakfast she goes to her executive office (sun room with rocking chair) and calls the directors of each her boards: board of health, finance, security, and soul (all nieces and nephews, of course). Her phone book has been updated because the last one was over 50 years old and most of the people had died. But each morning there she is, making phone calls, seeing how people are, listening to them from her heart and giving advice.

She is confidential. People know they can trust granny with anything. ANYTHING. They will tell granny before they tell their own mothers, husbands and wives. Granny listens and knows what to do. She has delivered not only babies but also people from dangerous situations by telling them how to act and what to say or when to shut up.

Grandma shows how much she loves people by doing what is good for them whether it is cooking or still nursing and giving people medicine and shots. Everything she does is done with enormous effort and pain in her hands but she has the determination like no other and keeps going, that is what keeps her alive.


Bottoms beware!


I have a lot to learn from my grandma. I wish I could see her every day to learn from her and keep a fragment of what life used to be like. Living far from family is hard but it is even harder when they are such good, kind and wise people like my grandma.

Comments

Popular Posts