Are You My Mother?!" + Culinary Inspiration

One of my favorite books growing up was "Are You My Mother?" by P.D. Eastman. It is the story of a little bird who can't find her mother so goes searching high and low asking cows, dogs and cats if they are her mother. Finally the mother bird returns giving the little bird a big worm.

I had a really nice moment with my little mother when I saw her. My uncle had picked us up at home and was taking us out to the church where I was married. My grandma was in the front seat with my uncle so I got to sit in the back with my mom. There, I noticed that my hands and arms had identical twins! How could it be? My mom and I are both easily entertained and amused so we were happy studying each others hands and fingernail shapes and decided that she indeed is my mom, even if I am 3 feet taller than her! Just joking...I'm really only 2 feet 11 inches taller...
Which one is my arm?


The bone structure and everything is the same!


We started comparing the ways we are similar. Here is a short list of what we came up with:


  1. We are both easily bewildered and startled and scream loudly if startled. 
  2. We both furiously glare at people who are wrong.
  3. We are both light sleepers and scream "STOP IT!" if woken up by cracking knuckles.
  4. We are both...sighers and can depress the most cheerful person with our "death" sigh..
  5. We both like to dance and sing in front of the cat. 
  6. Both of us have been teased, bullied and targeted for our "cuisine"
On the note of cuisine, I have to say that my mom is a creative cook. She grew up under the roof of a master chef (grandma) who treated food with the utmost respect, care and dignity. My sweet grandma still likes to be as involved as possible in the creation of her food. And I'm so glad she does, for her, feeding her family with beautiful dishes has been one of her greatest joys. She loves passing along her techniques to her grandchildren. 
Making gorditas from whole milk fat

Frying meat cakes

Sorting beans

I love how these 92-year old beautiful hands still care about the creation and nourishment through her food. 


One would think that grandmas potatoes were real gold from the Yukon. My mom, on the other hand, treats food as an abstract art and her creations have been both adored and critiqued. She, in contrast, doesn't think food is as important as other things: music, laughter, movies, dancing and joy. For her, food should be easily prepared, full of flavor and combined with unusual tastes. 

The day I was leaving I cried miserably mopping around the house giving my best "death" sighs which depressed even little kitten Bonita. My mom squinted at me to see what would "fix" her child and decided to make me two rainbow sandwiches for the trip. She opened the rolls and filled them with a rainbow of ingredients. I knew what each ingredient meant for her, like abstract art, I knew the mind of this artist. My uncle passed by and looked at the sandwich with reprehensible shock. I replied with the sigh of death and he deflated and left the kitchen dragging his feet.

Here is what was in it with the definition from my mama's head:

1. Mayonnaise: to make the lettuce stick and to prove to me "to hell with your diet!".
2. Lettuce: you have to have some green in it. The doctor says so. 
3. Fresh jalapeno: so you don't forget where you come from.
4. Grilled Onions: because life is just better with a bang of flavor
5. Pickled carrots: they were with the onions and couples need to stay together.
6. Pinto beans: They make the bread soft for your healing teeth and why did you get braces?
7. Ham: It was in the fridge and we need to finish it before it goes bad. Plus beans and ham are yummy
8. Cheddar cheese: to show that I love you more than cheddar cheese which is my favorite

It was like a slice of the fridge in my sandwich! During my layover I had an accident and ripped a part of my nail off. OUCH! 
The wound.

It bled and airport security came running to my rescue. After patching me up I stormed off with my pulsing finger in the direction of a quiet spot and devoured one of my giant sandwiches. Then I heard my mom's voice say, "Go get a margarita to calm yourself down" so I did, then fell into a deep sleep on the flight even before the plane took off.

 So this week I am on my own without the Chef. I was contemplating what to feed myself and decided to give myself a challenge: cook like my mom! While some might shudder I think my mom has a creative and fresh approach to food that would be greatly appreciated in holistic circles and Northern California's fresh restaurants. I will be blogging on my nightly mama inspired cuisine 

The inspiration from traditional food.

My mama's theory: fresh and full of flavor!

Last nights dinner
Last night's dinner was inspired from my mom: lemon poppy seed bun with fresh tomato, fresh jalapeno, sliced mushrooms and mustard. Left over mushrooms and tomato were served as a salad with a splash of lime juice and a hint of salt.

The end

Comments

Popular Posts