Rocky

When we were in Northern Italy, one of our favorite things to do was to hit the beach. We would make thick tasty panini, pack our backpack and take off at dawn and come home at dusk. On one of these excursions I learned to drive stick shift. It is a fact! Look, mama!
No, I didn't hurt anyone.

One of the fascinating things about the Mediterranean Sea is the rocky coast.

There are jagged cliffs that dive deep into the water and the rocks keep the water clear, azure, and heartbreakingly beautiful.
You can see at least 30 feet into the water.

The first time we went on the rocks I was nervous, but had on my sturdy hiking sandals and told myself "You will not let yourself die." and I didn't. I remembered my basic rock climbing classes that taught me to step when I was sure it was sturdy, to use my arms as much as my legs and to pull slowly. Well, I'm still alive so it worked. And the stress was totally worth every minute of swimming in the crystal clear water with not one tourist in sight!









A dorky sun hat will keep your skin from burning. 




The original stones for chalk boards. 

The chef grew up scaling stones to get to the beach.
Water baby. His feet are made for those rocks. 

Naturally, seeing him hop gingerly down the rocks made me nervous. I soon realized that all children raised around these rocky cliffs are like mountain goats that love going down to the water for a swim.

Local children jumping off the cliff into the water (with rocks) below. I was almost in tears for fear that they would kill themselves. 

This little girl ran up and down the rocks at sunset. Her mom was totally calm about it. 

Father and son fishing. 


Buddies sharing a smoke. 
My favorite part of the coast would be the food and the sunsets. I loved devouring spagetti with octapus sauce. It was like a burger, but better, in fish form and soooooo good.

My second favorite thing were the sunsets. As I sit here now, with the AC blasting in New Jersey and the humidity at 90%, I can only dream and wish for the dry and beautiful weather of the Cinque Terre Coast at dusk.




Comments

Popular Posts