Memories of Northern Italy

We recently came back from a road trip then went to the Jersey Shore to get some long needed vitamin D. The ocean waves were tall and scary. I tried to soak in the sun but kept reminiscing about some of the trips the Chef and I took when we lived in Northern Italy. When I went home, I went through pictures. I will blog about a few of my favorites for the next few blogs.

One of the prettiest piazzas I ever saw was in Vigevano, Italy.

It is about 20 minutes from Milan. The Piazza is one of the most romantic I have ever seen. Chimney's line up the roofs, fancy apartments are above the square and below is a covered walk-way.




I love these original "shopping malls" from the 14th century. They are definitely much prettier and sturdy than our American strip-malls. The one in Vigevano has cute stores, lots of cafes and bars and of course a few pastry shops.

Beyond the main piazza is a castle, where the horse stable was designed by Da Vinci himself. It has deep water troughs to wash out the horse waste.

 It is said that this castle had one of the strongest armies thanks to the horses. The most interesting part of the castle, to me, was the women's castle. Apparently, the noble women and their maids were confined to a castle wing which was high and could only be accessed by a secret entrance. The women could travel from one part of the castle to another by bridges.

I found this incredibly interesting. On one hand, how great to be far from smelly men! On the other hand, how horrible to be imprisoned!

Comments

Popular Posts