Jersey Snow Birds: Rough Ride

There is a phenomenon in the Jersey and NYC area that we were unaware we were participating in: snowbirding. This is a regional custom of North-easterners who have grown tired of the cold wind cutting their faces, tired of hiding their chubby torsos in sweaters, tired of smoothing on layers of lotion to heal chapped hands and broken skin on their feet. North-easterners, particularly those with a N'Yawk accent or "What you lookin' at" Jersey attitude board flights bound for the sunny sands of Miami.

After the horse weekend where I froze my tush off, I decided I was going to go to the land of my forefathers (Florida) and get some sun back in my bones. My grandma Audrey, a Floridain lover, would have demanded that I do this. I'm a girl built for shorts and flip-flops, not down blankets, I'm a girl of fresh orange juice not of apple cider, I'm a girl of taking it slow and smiling to strangers not looking at them like it's a stare-off to death. With Thanksgiving fast approaching I asked the Chef if he minded if I booked a trip to the land of sun and oranges. He looked at me while wearing a sweater and hat indoors and said, "Go for it. Just let me know when we leave." And I went full on planning and organizing the whole deal.
All my luggage for 5 days. Pack light, pack right! It also helps that bikinis are small and take up no space. 

As luck would have it Jersey was due for it's first real snow storm and the dark billowing clouds were in the sky when we arrived to the airport. We boarded an hour late because the captain was looking for a better route to avoid the incoming blizzard. As we all got into our seats he said, "Get ready for a rough ride full of turbulence folks."
Getting ready for a rough flight out of cold New Jersey.

Everyone squeemed in their seats. Then he kicked us all back out of the airplane saying it was too dangerous and we needed to wait another 3 hours before we could leave. The Chef and I asked if we could cancel our flight and were told no. We debated just calling it off to avoid death but then decided to take the trip anyway. Thanksgiving in a blizzard was almost as bad as taking a chance on a flight. Once we all waited and came back 3 hours later, half of the passengers were drunk or medicated to deal with the fear of the rough ride. Thankfully, we made it safe. It was a little bumpy at first and landing we saw lighting dance around us like Christmas tinsle but we landed safe at 10 PM.

We spent $2.35 each to take the Miami Airport Flyer bus from the airport to South Beach where we were staying. I was not sure how public transportation would work in Miami, in comparison to NYC, but I have to say it is super cheap, safe and on time! I loved taking the Flyer and seeing everything on the way.

We arrived in South Beach around midnight. It was 80 degrees Farenheit with 90% humidity. We peeled off our thick winter coats, threw on our shorts and sandals and hit the town to see what was happening.
THIS is what I am talking about. Hellooooo Miami!!

Well, what happens around midnight in South Beach is that the town literally pops with the rhythms of Caribbean music, the streets are lit with the neon lights of the Art Deco era hotels and the smell of food and alcohol fill the air.


Tis the season to be jolly and have some fresh coconut water, fa-lalalala-la-la-la-la.


Checking out Ocean Drive, South Beach Miami!

There is every type of person in the street at this hour looking for something different to do: couples on dates, singles out for a good time, loads of drunks, homeless people finding a nice palm tree to sleep under for the night and ladies (or men) of the night looking for physical employment. We went to bed late the first night but it was nice to see what the street is like at that hour.

Our hotel, Edgewater, was nothing less than spectacular. We got a room with the view of the ocean and it was totally worth it.
The view from our room: palm trees and an ocean sunrise. I will take this any day!

The Edgewater hotel is also one of the less flashy hotels in the Art Deco area. It also included a yummy breakfast on the rooftop terrace of the hotel overlooking the blue ocean water, free beach towels and chairs and free happy hour with snacks.

Happy Hour :) We loaded up with beers and snacks and went back to our room to people watch from the window. 

Courtesy beach towels, gracias!

Another view from the room. I could lay in bed all day and watch those palms sway. 

The terrace. 

It was amazing. The first morning my breath was just taken away as I peeled back the curtain and saw the sun shining over the turquoise waters and palm trees and a warm warm Florida day waiting to be discovered.
Good morning, Miami!
Ready to face the sunny glorious day!

Comments

Popular Posts