Birthday and Bidet

My birthday rolled around this year quiet as a mouse.

I used to hoop and holler with joy when my birthday came, plan a day full of my favorite food, buy a new dress and shoes. Recently, my birthdays have been somewhat doomed. This last one was a comedy marked by an exploding bidet and a fish bone stuck in my throat. It made me think that perhaps birthdays are not as special as everydays. Yes, they mark one more year (and you should definitely eat cake). But they shouldn't make up for what you lack in the rest of the year. Joy, good food, wearing your favorite dress and shoes, treating yourself kindly. If you wait for your birthday to have a good day you potentially waste the other 364 days of they year waiting for "the one". In any case, birthdays are days to be grateful for the other 364 days. Here are 32 things I am thankful for, in no particular order. I'm really hungry so there might be lots of food in this one....

1. Nutella
2. Cedar lined trunks that keep blankets in great shape and are amazing for moving. Mine just got inundated by our faulty basement and I have recollected all the places my trunk has been and how many things it has been useful for: being a TV table, coffee table, bedside table (in the midst of moves).
3. Pescara beaches. They are so relaxing and sweet
4. Real sea salt.
5. Pasta, especially lasagna.
6. Ooo...grocery shopping carts to pull your groceries home. Love those things.
7. I'm thankful for small bedrooms that are cozy and sweet.
8. Trees outside any window. Seriously, if you are in an ugly place plant a tree outside your window or line it with plants. You will have new friends.
9. Italian cats. I have several friends now in Italy and was thrilled to run into them. Kitty from Citta Sant'Angelo, the beach, Gulliver, il gato nero di Guiseppina. Etc.
The jealous one. He doesn't know about my other cat friends.

Black kitty by the beach is my friend in Pescara


10. My glasses. I can't believe how much better I see with them! I resist and resist wearing them then when I do: I CAN SEE!
11. My birkenstocks. They make me feel at home. "Home is where your birkenstocks are" is crosstiched on my pillow. Just kidding.
12. Chic lit....I should be ashamed. Since college I have only tried to read "real" books and novels forcing my way through "Moby Dick" and hating it. I just discovered some really sweet chic lit (series of "Confessions of a Shopaholic") and love it...full of shame.
13. Sharp cheddar cheese
14. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on lightly toasted bread with a glass of milk
15. Sunshine and bunny rabbits
16. Kate Spade bags. I love that Kate Spade bags are fun, in happy colors and with peppy linings.
17. El Gordo when he rolls around on the floor when I am talking about lifes issues. He rolls and is happy and my worries melt away watching him.
18. To be fair: Bentley's cuddles. He is the sweetest most affectionate cat that knows when to come give you some cuddles.
19. I am grateful for my tiny mother's way of jotting down wise phrases. Anytime she is walking and sees a phrase that is poignant she will stop, pull out a pad and paper and carefully write it down taking in the full meaning of the phrase. Then, she emails lists of them to me and usually one of them will be spot on.
20. Chapstick. Having Invisalign makes your lips really dry and chapstick has been so good to have around!
21. Tchaikovsky. If you listen to his concertos it seems that each individual one can fit in some situation in life. "Waltz of the Flowers" is what Fatty hears as he watches me clean his litter box.
22. Public libraries: access to free digital downloads, access to free music, books, magazines and foreign films
23. My bed
24. Eggplant Parmesan
25. Chocolate stuffed croissants, lightly toasted, with some black coffee and OJ
26. Time alone in silence with no computer, tv or noise
27. My good clean bathroom
28. I'm grateful for baseball and the little league that plays in our town.
29. I'm grateful for photo albums
30. The colors pink, purple and chocolate
31. Dark chocolate
32. Dinner waiting for me at home almost every night.... :)

And here are some random pictures that make me happy:






Comments

Popular Posts