NYC in Early Spring

The sun shone perfectly on Friday as we drank our morning coffee watching the snow slowly melt. "Do you want to go to NYC with me?" he asked. "Yep!" I answered. After breakfast I got all my NYC things ready. It's sort of like going hiking but in a city. You need the right shoes, bag, and of course snack in case you get lost and with a hunger headache in the concrete jungle. 

Items you will need are:

1. Shoes you can walk a marathon in
2. A cross body bag to free your hands. Inside:
     a. Small umbrella
     b. Snack
     c. Pocket tissues
     d. Gum
     e. Map of NYC
     f. gloves
4. No makeup 
5. Comfy jeans


We took the NJ Transit train through all the little shacky towns of NJ leading up to NY. 

The waiting room for this train station is built way better than houses around here. Wonder why?
It was the first time we went so far from the house after the long winter. 

Watch the railing on the NJ Transit Train. It is really low and the risk of gashing your head is high. I hit it once so hard I cried, my husband the man sitting next to me got embarrassed and pretended not to be with me when I sobbed at my booboo. 

Our legs sort of forgot how to walk but quickly remembered as soon as we stepped out of Penn Station and saw the huge buildings, smelled the dozens of aromas and heard the noise of taxis, people and the world. 
Inside Penn Station you can enjoy food from around the world, junk food that is. 


I found love on the escalator. Shhh...don't tell.


Stapling the Staples sign. 

Singer, Alica Keys has it right "These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you."

Fashion apartments above the Starbucks. Sewing and sewing away. 


THAT would be my palace.

Everyone is from NYC as they are there. Old, young, slow, fast, smelly and clean are all from NYC. All races are New Yorkers too, all immigrants are treated the same: from Congo, China, India, Uzbekistan, France, Portugal, Libya...are all New Yorkers. However, if you are born in The City (as every one here calls it, for there is no city bigger or greater around), you are known by your borough: Queens and Upper West  Side might have just as big differences as Kansas and California. Toootally different accents, ways of walking, wearing jeans and saying "You're Welcome" In Queens they don't say it, you might get a nod. In the Upper West Side they don't say it either, they look for the next person in line behind you. 

I want to take my mom here. 




This Goodwill has high fashion pieces: Armani, Marc Jacob, Prada...it's on 75th and 8th.

My second house in NYC

That window at top is a restaurant called Robert's. It overlooks Columbus Circle and I want to go one day.


In any case, it is hard not to love NY. It is hard not to let the big buildings inspire you, the frying street meat to tempt you. It is hard not to find weird things in NYC too, for that matter or a public bathroom too. 
El Gordo modeled for this picture

model François le'Gordone



Just in case you are there, the shops at Columbus Circle have a clean bathroom above the statue with the naked man. Just take the escalator up and it's next to the J. Crew for men. Clean. Every time :)

These are other favorite pictures from Friday. And I am oh so glad winter is finally running away and leaving us with some space to venture outside of our home and into The City. 




You can't go wrong with blackened mahi tacos at Bill's Burgers by Rockefeller Center

It's Spring. The End. 

Comments

Popular Posts