-14F and Happy Days

The last few days the weather has been colder here in NJ than in the middle of Fairbanks, Alaska. That is in the middle of Alaska where they make ice sculptures, have northern lights, and you get paid by the state of Alaska to live there.
All ice on the road. We were the only smart people out getting pizza....but it was so good!

No one pays us to live in NJ, instead of ice-sculpture competitions we have a wall of ice over our windows (literally) and instead of getting paid to live in NJ we pay the highest property tax in America.

a sheet of ice over the window

But that is all OK! I have actually taken the positive spirit of Polyanna these days to say what I am  glad about and the advice of Gretchen author of "The Happiness Project" to "act how I want to feel". So I have been happy for the sunny beautiful day, and psychotically imagined that I was in Cinque Terre coming home. It worked!

On the scary side: driving to and from work is really really dangerous. It is hard to breathe even with a wool scarf tightly wrapped around my nose. The air is so biting, sharp and cold. There are also ice puddles frozen from the rain of two days ago when the weather was 58 degrees then dropped to -14F in 24 hours. One friend told me when I was 16, "When you are scared, sing and you won't be scared." The day she told me we were hiking and a mouse ran in front of me. I sang "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music." Today I sang, "Honkey Tonk Angels" by Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton. They are my go-to on days where the going gets rough...

During the last few days of hibernation I have done a few things to stay busy:

1. Make baked pasta. mmmm.
2. Made new toys for the fur-balls



3. Stretched my muscles and exercised. Down, touch the ground, slowly up. Walk walk walk. And eat petite to not gain weight like a polar bear.
4. Read a historical research book on the development of orphanages in Florence and Bologna. This is part of my New Years Resolution

I can't wait for this cold to blow over, but until it does I will be singing a country hillbilly tune while I drive.

"As I sit here tonight the jukebox playin'
The tune about the wild side of life
As I listen to the words you are sayin'
It brings memories when I was a trusting wife"

Comments

Popular Posts