White Christmas

Having a snowy Christmas season is sweet as opposed to bad weather then a white Christmas.

 Over the last two weeks we have enjoyed many insignificant snow falls. One starts to melt then another snowy  night flutters by leaving the ground fresh, crisp and white once more. Getting to the point of enjoying the cold was tough especially since we are not cold weather people. Last year served as a traumatic fraternity style cold weather hazing. The entire spring, summer and winter of 2013 all we could think of was the winter and prepared for it like squirrels. Now that the winter has arrived (and we passed through our first 16 degree week) we are about as prepared as polar bears and actually  have loved the snow and even going for walks in the cold!

My favorite part of this Christmas season has been going to NYC. Last weekend we went knowing that there would be 8 inches of snow and cold. 

It was magical seeing the big city lit up like a snow globe, taxis dashing here and there and the soft soft slow snow flakes drifting down in sleepy motion towards the constantly hurried city. We barreled our heads in the wind, snow biting our cheeks and went uptown and downtown. It was surreal.



Lincoln Center was magical


So glad I wore my snow boots.

Pause for Strauss! I have to say, ducking in from the snow storm into the NY Philharmonic is really a fantastic cozy experience.

Back to the snow

You've Got Mail

Take a seat, let's chat




The next day there was an ice storm that made driving to church dangerous so we walked. That was dangerous too but we were more sure-footed than the car would have been.
Each little branch was covered with a layer of ice. It was beautiful. 



Nature at it's best





And lastly, I have enjoyed work. I love the little kids that come and seeing the anticipation of Christmas on their faces prompted me to making a big delivery box for Santa. All the little ones from toddlers to full adults came to put their notes and letters to Santa. Some were anonymous. I felt like I was breaking some federal law when I brought the letters home with me tonight. One little angel came to ask me, "Miss? How how how come my letter is still there? Will Santa know in time?" I said that the elf was stuck in traffic on the bridge but was coming this afternoon. She solemnly understood. Any child in North Jersey understands traffic on the GW Bridge. Here are some of the letters, safe and sound. The elf is around the corner from my house and will be sure they all get to Mr. Claus. 






Once the elf leaves and Christmas week begins I will finally be able to what I need to do most: clean my floors, brush the cats and take a long needed nap.
Nap and a panettone are on the schedule.

Comments

Popular Posts