Shot at Short Hills Mall

I've been sitting at my desk not able to think for a few hours. Unproductive and sad thinking about the violence that happened minutes from my house on Sunday night. It could have been me, my husband, my friends. It could have been and it will happen to another sweet good couple, family, parent. What? Murder facilitated by this country's loose gun policy. There is a fancy mall close to where we live, they have all the high end stores like Prada and Salvatore Ferragamo. They have nice bathrooms, no movie theater and no food court. They are too posh for a food court. I like to go there to look at the pretty stores and to stroll around Crate and Barrel. But I won't go anymore. On Sunday night two thieves went hunting for a car to steal. They found the one they really liked and waited for the owner to come out of the mall. They waited with their guns, patiently waited to hunt, hurt and kill the owner of the car like a chicken for dinner.  A young happy couple came out of Nordstroms, Dustin Friedland and his wife Jamie.

They probably went to the mall like my husband and I do to have a nice time, eat a good croissant and buy good pants for work. Dustin and Jamie made their way to their car when two men approached them. Dustin made sure his wife was safe in the car before trying to tell the guys to leave her alone. I can't imagine what they felt like. Have you ever felt fear when in a dark place and have men or crazy looking women walk your way? I have plenty of times especially when I lived in Baltimore. So Dustin tried to talk them out of hurting him and his wife. They didn't like him so they shot him in the head.

Jamie jumped out of the car and screamed his name, screamed for help. He lay dying over one of the parking spaces that I'm sure I've passed numerous times...At 30 years old he died with his wife hysterically screaming by his side.

why

Why?

Do we need guns? Just one year ago 26 little adorable babies were slaughtered in Sandy Hook Elementary School. I couldn't sleep for a week thinking of their sweet baby faces.
Do we really need guns?

What would happen if we banned all guns? What would happen if only the police and military could have guns? When we lived in Italy only the police and military had guns and I never heard of gun violence, of babies getting slaughtered, of couples getting hunted down.
No guns here.
Not one gun in these homes.

Maybe if we had less guns the drug industry wouldn't be so great for the drug cartels and the president (yes, Obama benefits from it and is and enabler). But perhaps the USA could live as a more civilized decent nation. People could send their children to school safely, shop safely and go to the movies safely.

This recent violence makes me sad, sick and feel like something ought to be done immediately. Dustin's death will keep me from going to the Short Hills Mall till they create better security. Their parking lots are badly lit and like a labyrinth.

It will also make me cherish more the precious good person I live with. Jamie's loss of her husband in someway pains me so much that it gives me intense gratitude for the protective husband I have. I didn't want to see him go to work this morning, I took out every muffin and panettone for breakfast today, worried more about him driving in the snow, felt sulky for being far for the day, I am thankful for all the sacrifices he does for us, for the big and little things. It makes me want to go away to a place where he would never be put in a situation like Dustin was and get shot.

 May God hold Jamie in the palm of His hand.

Comments

  1. That is so heartbreaking. May she find comfort in the arms of Jesus right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts