Survival List

Auntie Nature sure likes to play with us mortals in NJ. Last week the temperatures soared around 105 and last night they dropped to a cool 52. I shivered and scrounged around my winter clothes bins looking for that fabulously warm pair of lumberjack flannel pajamas. And to think that it isn't even August and I was thrilled to wear flannel in July.

Speaking of July, my birthday is around this time of year and birthdays always give me time to contemplate things I feel I should understand. Here are some things that have been on my mind lately.

1. Why does the average supermarket sandwich now cost $7? I still think that a normal sandwich, nothing special should cost $4, but no, there in the grocery store, the soggy selection of pre-made lunch sandwiches are costing $7.

2. I wish I could reach another birthday knowing how to properly spell Tchaikovsky's name. Chaikov...no, Tzchy...no...Tchaycov...almost. Darn.

3. Jobs, why do we need them? Can't we just live in the rain-forest eating mango and pineapple?

4. Ann Taylor. Speaking of jobs and being back in the workforce I have discovered to my distaine the demise of the house of Ann Taylor. Five years ago that store carried the finest silk, wool and well tailored pieces that I could barely afford when they were on clearance. Today their quality is much lower, the prices higher and the style follows trends, which in fact is not elegant at all. I'm glad I hung onto the good pieces I bought on clearance there when their store was still good.

5. The bidet. The older I become and longer I am away from Italy the more I miss my pretty bidet. My list of necessities in life is getting shorter. So far they go something like this:

List for survival:



  1.  Linen pants and skirt, same in wool for the winter but in black
  2. Two shirts, two sweaters and a wool coat
  3. Bidet and standing shower 
  4. Big brown bag capable of carrying life's necessities from one continent to the other
  5. Kindle
  6. My reading glasses
  7. Amy's frozen burritos
I could fit all of that in my brown bag and carry the bidet under my other arm. How I would move again with a bidet to carry, a brown bag full of burritos and two cats might baffle me at first. But I am stubborn and am sure I could make it through security in any airport. Maybe packing like this with the cats could help:
I think I could carry this bidet with the cat in it. Pack light, pack right?


Other things that are not necessities but are favorites would include Indian samosas, Napolitan pizza's, my pasta pot and new Dr. Scholls gel flip-flops. And that is about it for me to be set for life!

But to get that bidet, a sandwich under $7 bucks and learn how to spell Tchai...wow...I almost got it...Tchaikovsky! I DID IT! Nice. Now I have two main goals for this next birthday: find a bidet and convince the supermarket to lower the cost of their sandwiches.

Comments

Popular Posts