Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies

A few days ago I did something rather significant: I flew back home to America to stay for a while.

Life is funny and sometimes the wind blows you in different directions, or continents and you just have to appreciate where you are when are there.
On the wings of Aliltalia

 It's the little weird things I loved Rivoltella for: the screaming priest, the olive bread, the view from the library of the Alps. Ah....but let me tell you, flying home I couldn't wait to see American roads, faces, food, stores and kick back my shoes and breathe American air.


The land to JFK was brutally rough with cold winds pushing our plane in every direction like a boxing match. Really, someone from the plane vomited from the "turbulence" as they call it. I didn't care, I was coming home! We neared the landing strip and I saw it: a stripmall of Wal Mart, Olive Garden and Best Buy and burst into happy tears: it was so beautiful.

JFK is a huge busy airport with important looking immigration officers that could change your life if they refused to let you in. After a few hours of lines following new lines we got to our luggage.

Up next was the worst drive of my life. I hadn't driven in 2 years and I was up against NYC traffic and bridges. It was like sending a child to drive for the first time. Of course, the rental car agency (*cough* Enterprise *cough*) only had an Expedition left. So this is what I drove in crazy insane NYC traffic.

HUGE

We bounced over a few potholes and I saw the Verrazano bridge in the distance. She looked at me and said, "Look kid, you can't handle this." I looked back and took the challenge. Channeling my inner Super Woman I pulled out of my pack pocket my mountain girl driving skills that I learned in Washington (thanks, daddy), stared down screaming Brooklyn girls who passed me and did it, I drove across that Verrazano bridge like a champ.
The Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Not for the weak of heart.

Now, nestled into a tiny room, the America I knew seems so different: from the ketchup to the faces. Really, since when were there so many different types of ketchup to choose from?





The topography also took a bit of a change in the NY area:
Hurricane Sandy did a lot of damage.
Woah. Two dudes dressed as Minney and Hello Kitty.

Rockfeller Center is for the world.

I love NY.

Nightime by the Metropolitan Opera.




 Things have changed, maybe I changed, but for now I feel like a Super Woman as only an American Girl coming home can feel. On that note I will tell the wind something I used to say after winning a soccer match in high school, "My name is Foxy Cleopatra and I'm a whole lotta woman!"

Comments

Popular Posts