8: Mother of Sorrows: For surviving family and also souls responsible for death

Depicted in the famous marble sculpture held in St Peter's Basilica in Rome is the Pieta by Michelangelo,  capturing one of Mary's sorrows after Jesus died. It captures the moment when Jesus was gone, His spirit had left His body, and His mother had not left His side for one moment rather stayed and wanted to hold her only child. 

Mary, Mother of Sorrows, hears all of our prayers of sorrow.


I have often thought of Mary, Mother of Sorrows, with that beautiful sculpture as it has spoken to my heart as a mom but also brought peace to my heart. Mary understands the overwhelming pain of holding in your arms, or sometimes a little baby in your hand, the one you love and would give anything to have their life back, their heartbeat going strong. In that pain, in that grief is a moment of something divine that we share in the pain of Mary. When we suffer from something outside our control it is a chance to offer that suffering, deep and immense, as part of redemption on the Cross for someone. Many graces can come from offering our  pain as a prayer in the same way Christ did, in the same grief stricken way Mary did.

That awful moment of grief where you feel you can't move because it will just make everything worse is understandable to Mary. No doubt, with her blood covered hands, she held her Child with love and horror and felt sick to her stomach but never left the promise of God in a life beyond this one that only offers temporary joy surrounded by trials and frustrations. 

The great paradox of Mary's sorrow is that she loved Jesus executioners deeply through her sorrow. She loved Pontius Pilate just as much as she loved the Roman soldiers who nailed him and the crowd who begged for his death. 

Today, I took the 8th rose for the Novena and decided to drive to a place where people responsible for death live: the state jail, in driving there I passed by the Capital Building in DC and paused for a moment to think. And yes, there was Pontius Pilate in the Capital, the same way the ruler was responsible for condemning Jesus to die is the same responsibility all rulers assume when they choose death.

One more left

I pray for the leaders in there, for their hearts to convert.

I pray for all prisoners who have killed and also all who are innocent and imprisoned.


Today I'd like to pray for family who have had to identify the body of their loved one, as well as for the people responsible for the death of others. 


Day 8: For surviving family and also souls responsible for death

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, amen. Holy Father in heaven hear our prayers today and Mary Mother of Sorrows intercede for us. Today I would like to pray for all people who have venom in their hearts towards anyone and wish them death. I pray that they seek humility and forgiveness for their arrogance and distain for life. I pray for all Afghan parents who saw the bombing at the Kabul airport and survived to see the lifeless bodies of their fellow countrymen, I pray for their healing and comfort through Mary, Mother or Sorrows. I pray for each serviceman in the Marines, Navy and Army who also survived that attack and was affected by the magnitude of death that surrounded them. I pray for the survivors who are injured that Mary might intercede for their mental and physical injuries. I pray for all Afghan children who have identified a dead parent and all parents who had to identify their dead child. I pray that through the sickness of their grief they might be comforted by Mary and have them rest in her arms that held death and held the Son that would rise. I pray for all survivors to feel the maternal love of Mary and the hope that this life in bitterness and death is not the end, but the beginning with hope for heaven. I pray for all politicians in the Capital in DC who take prideful or cowardly decisions that are responsible for the deaths of innocent people. I pray for their conversion and to see each life as intended and sacred. I pray for their healing from addiction to power, greed and self-centeredness. I pray for all prisoners in jail who have taken the life of someone, I pray that they repent and have a conversion of spirit to use their error for God's glory in changing their hearts. Lastly, I pray for all innocent people who are in jail. I pray for justice to be served to them and for them to walk this cross offering it in redemption with Jesus for the world and it's injustice.

Holy Father, if it is your Divine will please allow Mother Mary to intercede in my special petition of (Name your petition), if it be good for me and my soul, amen. 

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary, full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, a world without end, Amen.

 

Comments

Popular Posts