All About the Daffodils

***Announcement: As of July 2021, Blogger will no longer email any blogs! They have yet to give an exact date. Very sad, I know. However, for those who subscribed I will email the blog to you!***

 I planted a big bag of mixed daffodil bulbs this last fall.

Mater Dei, ora pronobis peccatoribus.
Mother of God, Pray for us sinners.

 I thought it would be so nice to turn our home into a floral oasis, especially since we have been more at home this year than ever. Thank you,  King Covid, we now all live like Little House in the Prairie. Sewing, gardening and baking. I am just missing a nice fat pig and 10 chickens. 

Sunday afternoon drive in the country.

Neigh a mask in sight.


We all love seeing the animals come out around our house in the spring: the fox, deer, bunnies and squirrels. And I thought they would look even more special prancing, hopping and dashing around flowers. 

Why daffodils? Well, very simply, the deer don't eat them. The deer get a serious case of the munchies around 4 AM and before you know it, all of your plants are gone. All the plants, except for the daffodils which must taste like medicine to the deer. Hence, why I planted the tulips in vases on the deck where the deer most likely wouldn't line-dance the Groove Line on their way to eat my flowers.

I was chatting with one of my aunts, and she showed me her splendid display of spring flowers, also deer resistant. She gave me some tips on planting for next year.  Apparently, I had no idea, my aunts and uncles love gardening and baking too! My next blog will be on my dough, and somehow I think it will fall in line with Fr Dan's Friday Podcast, just a hunch...

On the next blog...stay tuned. :)


For now, daffodils. I have found that I have favorites. The solid yellow daffodils without too much fluff going on inside of them are my favorite. They are simple, have straight lines and I am sure Coco Chanel would have liked them best for this feature as well. My second favorite are the white daffodils with simple lines and an orange center. 

My favorite. "A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous." Coco Chanel

"Simplicity is the keynote to all true elegance." - Coco Chanel

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street." Coco Chanel. And dare I add, fashion is in the flowers.

Daffodil sisters. I would name them Claribel Cone and Etta Cone (for old Baltimore socialites) One simple, one a little fluffy.


My least favorite are the fluffy daffodils. They are too much trouble! As soon as the flower blooms it hits the ground because of the weight and looks like it is dying. It lays there on the ground agonizing and getting covered in dirt before slowly rising, then it is pretty but dirty. It is a drama queen, no doubt.

Take a deep breath, Miss Daffodil, you are going to be ok...




 

And for the sake of floral ooos and aaaaas, let's take one last look at the Dutch Lasagnas. I am pretty darn proud they grew so beautifully all on their own. I am constantly amazed at God's creativity and artistry in creating so many different types, shapes and colors of flowers. He did this just to make us happy, and that is so amazing!


Blue and Red for a special day...

Grape hyacinth

Pansies are incredibly strong, on the other hand.


And lastly, my baby tomatoes are starting to take good roots. 



I had originally planted a bunch in January but put them outside too soon and they froze to death. This second round looks promising. However, I don't know what kind of tomatoes they are! You see, I dropped three bags of seeds on the table and they all got mixed up. So, some tomatoes might come out big, some small and some with stripes...

Comments

Popular Posts