Month of Mary

Just as spring is in full bloom the month of May which is the month of Mary comes upon us! I love how May starts with a full moon, which is a symbol of Mary. Last night the air was chilly and the sky was dark except for the full moon and I was so happy knowing that it was welcoming the month of May. The moon reflects the light of the sun like Mary reflects the light of Christ. And the moon rotates around the earth and sun just like Mary rotates around her earthly children and Christ her son. So I'm happy the moon joined in to celebrate Mary!

 I'm not entirely sure why May is the month of Mary (and I'm sure there is some explanation) but the little I know is that she has appeared several times over the years in May and it is just so great that there is a month to reflect on Mary and her devotion to Jesus. If I could go back to college I would vote for a class on Mary! She has grown on me over the last two years, though I converted to Catholicism nine years ago (though always having the urge at a younger age). Having been raised protestant (and told Marian devotion was idolatry) it was hard for me to truly believe in Mary's beauty and authentic power to help our faith rise. Her life was devoted to Jesus and she points us to Him through all of her actions.

About 2 years ago that all changed in a very slow and sweet way. Since then, Mary has become a soul mother, help and source of inspiration. I adore Mary and really want to celebrate her so will! (Don't mind if I do!) in my little corner of the internet!

Today I will celebrate Mary Queen of Angels, or our Lady of Angels! Mary had many interactions with angels, her birth was predicted by an angel, her immaculate conception of Jesus by Angel Gabriel. Like angels, Mary is near those who call on her intervention while in crisis. She is pure like angels and knows both the earth as she lived here and comes frequently to visit her children and knows heaven. One of my favorite mysteries of the rosary is the first Joyous Mystery where the angel Gabriel announces to Mary that she has been chosen to bear life to Jesus and her answer is "Yes!" that she will do it.
Mary of Angels, pray for us


August Queen of Heaven, Sovereign queen of Angels, who at the beginning received from God the power and the mission to crush the head of Satan, we beseech you humbly, send your holy legions of angels so that, on your orders and by your power, they will track down demons, fight them everywhere, curb their audacity and plunge them into the abyss. Holy angels and archangels, defend us and protect us. Amen 



Comments

Popular Posts