Il Giorno di Grazia (Thanksgiving)

Living in Italy made me celebrate American holidays a bit less enthusiastically than I would have had I been on American soil. I remember going to an Irish pub in Italy with some of my American friends in Brescia and just looking at each other over under fried french fries and tiny tiny burgers. When we came back to the US to live I literally cried tears of joy at the 4th of July parade in Chatham, NJ. The 4th is definitely my favorite holiday (Long live the Queen! I mean, God Bless America!) but Thanksgiving is right there behind the 4th as another favorite.

An elderly priest I know and talk to frequently stresses the  importance of gratitude. Especially making lists or mentally saying what you are grateful for in moments when it seems that nothing in your life goes right. It is a reminder, that even in moments of stress there is grace and goodness. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are my 35 things (since I didn't list them on my birthday) that I am currently thankful for. This is in no particular order of importance:

1. Water. Seriously? Yes I am thankful for water and seeing it rush in rivers smoothing rocks, hydrate our bodies, and the beauty of a misty morning is so worth calling in late for work to just sit and watch.


2. The Holy Rosary. Going out on a limb here. I usually don't talk about my faith as it is something personal for me and I understand that is personal for each individual. But how could I not share something I am so thankful and excited about? I am so very grateful for the prayer of the rosary. I've started praying it more each day and meditating the mysteries of Jesus life in each decade (10 prayers) (Joyful, Luminous, Glorious, and Sorrowful) And seeing in each mystery something to be thankful for. The rosary brings so much healing and its taken me a while (years) to open my heart but doing so has really helped me see graces God gives through prayer and asking Mother Mary to be with me in tough moments. I only wish someone had taught me sooner how to pray the rosary. I had to  unearth it myself.

3. The Eucharist. The real presence of the body of Christ. Unbelievable gift for us.

4. My felines! I am grateful for my two very old men and having them since I was 19 is something I never thought I would have! I enjoy taking good care of them in their old age (15 now!) as they were such good buddies when I was first on my own.
Fatty with his crush Magnolia

5. Public libraries! You can teach yourself anything, find ancient records, learn a new language and read children's books for free! I

6. Baked pasta! Oh my goodness how much do I love a day off where I can roll up my sleeves and get dirty in the kitchen for hours making sauce, layering pasta, whipping together the right amount of ricotta and mozzarella with egg yoke till it turns the color of butter and dancing around with a cat between my feet till the pasta is done!

7. Strong black coffee. Dear coffee, with out you I wouldn't wake up till 11 AM!

8. My sewing machine! Another oldie but goodie! If you have a sewing machine and can sew a straight line you are set for life. Done! Ok, you also need to know how to make fire and boil water.

9. The world cup. One of my favorite events every 4 years. I am very disappointed Italy didn't make it!

10. The Chesapeake Bay in late August. This is something you need to experience to really love. Late August in Maryland is sticky and humid and everyone is sick of Ocean City and Atlantic City. But the Bay offers some of the best moments of the summer: crabbing, kayaking, looking at all types of birds, drinking good beer and eating fried stuff and crabs. I want to retire on the Eastern Shore (and Naples, Italy). Can I do both? Or maybe I will open up that restaurant with real Italian food and homemade pastries like tiramisu and cornbread cake.

11. Learning languages. Public library (again) thank you! I mostly taught myself Italian and now that I have that under my belt I am shooting for Latin to pray as the early Christians did.

12. Sharp knives for cooking. No one likes a dull knife.

13. The automatic pet feeder! This thing has saved me from coming home to very grumpy old cats.

14. Joy: being able to see joy in a mess and laugh out loud knowing it will pass. Example: painting the bathroom was so hard! I was up one night around 11 AM and was getting frustrated with myself when suddenly I pulled the toilet paper handle off and made a HUGE hole in the wall. My mind went blank. Then I burst into laughter. It was great. The next day I put on the soundtrack for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and sang along as I taught myself to patch drywall.

15. Indian food. Oh my goodness. I am so thankful for Chicken Ticka Massala and Samosas!

16. Blue skies and days with my favorite people. The best things are in nature and I love getting out and stomping around in the wild with good friends and just taking hours to look at the sky, seeing what the birds are doing, feeling the wind on my face.

17. Door insulation. I just insulated our front door so I am pretty thankful for that!

18. Seeing Christ in others. Limb again. I really am grateful for passing out of my comfort box and talking to mentally ill and homeless people and seeing Christ in them. There is the rejected and homeless Christ that speaks through the face of those who can't help themselves.

19. Fall's leaves. I like them on the ground as much as on the trees. I can't stand it when people rake the leaves immediately. Leave them there for a few days! They are red and orange and amazing.

20. Cat lax and pumpkin for cats: it helps old cats poop and keeps El Gordo running.

21. Tire rotations and good wiper blades. I am so thankful for good wiper blades on rainy days coming home!

22.  Internal peace. You can't beat that. When I have it I am grateful!

23. Internal joy. Ditto. It is so great to be in chaos and have that little spark inside that is still good.

24. Nine Pm moment of insane energy and creativity that you HAVE to make something or bust.

25. My choir. I love how we are all different in age, background and culture yet get together and croak out some pretty good tunes.

26. My birkenstocks. I adore my house shoes!

27. Good mozzarella di buffala. Oh boy, I must be hungry. I like the ones from Costco that ooze milk.

28. Costco. One of the best super markets with the freshest veggies and tastiest meat and most of my house clothes are from there. What are you wearing? Costco! Or Thrift shop!

30. Wedge high heels: when you want to walk in heels and look cute but haven't worn heels in a while. Put on some wedges!

31. Time: it is such an incredible element.

32. Black and white pictures.

33. Silent films! I just saw one called Sparkie and I hadn't seen a silent film in years and it made me remember how much my family used to love them.

34. Flowers. I love fresh flowers! Sun flowers, roses, lilies, daffodils!. Woot! Flowers!


35. My husband! :)
.


I have to run so will add just a couple pictures. Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular Posts