Fall in Maryland

The last season has been perhaps one of my favorite not only of the year, but favorite part of the year so far. I have spent a nice amount of time...being my own contractor!

 I figured if I can learn the Dewey Decimal System and the Library of Congress Classification system I can certainly learn to insulate, drill, paint and do basic plumbing with the help of Youtube! And many many prayers of "Please don't let me mess up!" *Side note, my smartphone refuses to send pictures so please imagine orange and yellow maple trees and me in a house covered in paint and singing the Alto part for Handel's Messiah and a very fluffy cat wining along outside of the door. I will add Google pictures as a result. *

I had a few little projects to do for my house and suddenly a wind of inspiration would hit me and I'd find myself hours deep into something so fun, rhythmic and enjoyable. As soon as one project would start to wind down the energy in me would pick up and look around for something else to do!

Maybe the vivid fall color in the trees struck me or the fresh crisp fall air. Perhaps Fatty and Bentley's extra fluffy winter coat.

In any case, maybe all of these things made me feel like each hour after getting home from the office was golden and a wonderful opportunity to make, get dirty and create something good. Things I learned along the way:

1. Never plan to paint and go to choir practice the same night. Neither will be done right! Notes will be missed and paint will not dry the right way.

2. Kittens spread paint very quickly with furry little paws. Oh, and whatever you do, don't step on the paint can!
Fatty and Bentley must have read this for their Book Club called Napping Whiskers. 

3. When using an electric drill, start with the little drill bit. You can always make the drill hole bigger.

4. My cell phone doesn't sent good pictures to my email!

5. Listen to uplifting music when working and dont be afraid of getting tired, drinking some water then making yourself go a bit further. Sweating is worth it.

5. The chop saw is amazing.
I've grown a beard. 

6. I could probably build a very crappy house at this point knowing how to roughly use a chop saw, change a toilet seat, use a drill, staple gun and a sewing machine! I think I would insulate it with jeans....and it would be a tiny house for sure. And very cat friendly with some stained glass here and there facing east and west.


7. Be patient and do it right. If you aren't sure what  you are doing it is time for a break and some Youtube instruction!

Comments

Popular Posts