Fighting with a Day

What is the best post to follow up on Sorrento, Reggia di Caserta and the Amalfi coast? It should be a blog on how to pack a carry on suitcase for 3 weeks, or how to prepare your cats for your departure, or how to recover from jet lag. No, the best follow up blog is on how to fight with the day that is out to get you. As I type, Bentley attacks my moving enemy fingers.

Returning from a good trip is bound to cause some level of depression. Returning from a bad trip just is cause to realize that your life isn't so bad after all.

Today was the day that said, "If you want to miss Italy you are REALLY going to miss it now!" And I looked at my miserable day and said "Bring it on." then cried like a baby, then got over it.

Allow me to share my day:

This morning was glorious. The perfect egg was fried for the crunchy bread that would soon satisfy my tummy before going to work. I contemplated which shoes to wear and wore some running shoes that Santa bought and that I would never normally wear to work because running shoes are meant for running. Run is what I did.

I prayed to start the day contemplating Our Lady of Sorrows. Then around 10 my jolly boss came bumbling with glee into the staff area announcing that there were muffins in the conference room. I went to collect said muffin and as I was happily noticing that it had mini chocolate chips which are better than large chocolate chips I was thrown to the wall by a door, muffin went sailing and "Watch out little fucker!" came out of my mouth as I hit the wall. Little F***Er was on the ground. My arm felt almost broken. The kid had been running like a steroid on steroids and rammed into the door that flew me into the door. I burst into furious tears as the nurse came to collect us both and smug joyful onlooking teachers munched on their muffins enjoying the scene.

Forms for workmans compensation and more furious tears later I was told to leave for the day since my arm hurt. Little Fudger was carted off to the hospital looking penitant. I'm sure he is fine and am not worried at all for his well being.

My car broke down as I left.

6 hours later and a whole paycheck later I left the mechanic. During those 6 house I enjoyed a walk around a pond (thanks for the running shoes, Santa!) and some sunshine. I also enjoyed sampling something at Whole Foods which turned out to be 50% garlic....

Upon arrival to the house I discovered that the cats got in a horrific fight and dragged an unknown substance around the basement and pulled down the drapes.

Fatty got a bath.

We had left overs (which were amazing) and I got oil down my favorite sweater.


All 5 of my senses were violated today: ears (screaming kids), nose (smell of car fuels), touch ( I got tackled by a large 7th grader), sight (the cats destroyed the basement), and taste (mouth full of garlic)

However, today was amazing if for one reason only. I was sitting in the full warm sunshine by the pond and saw a flock of sea gulls swoon down and hover for a moment before landing in the water and sending ripples going gently around them. It was so peaceful and pure. If for only that moment, the rest of the day was worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts