Book 12 "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

I actually read "Seven Sisters Style" a non-fiction on the style that came out of the seven sister colleges. But I don't have that book on hand to refer to so it will have to wait.

What did I like or not like about the now super famous "Fault in Our Stars"?


 I will keep it short because A) I wasn't impressed B) I'm absolutely famished and the chef is napping so eating is not an option C) It is sunny and amazing outside and I can't wait to eat and go sit in the sun like an old cat.

What I liked, TOP 5 things:

1. I like the characters names. Hazel and Augustus remind me of names of Cinderella's mice.
2. I like the fact that they go to Amsterdam in the book. Had the book been set only in Indianapolis with trips to and from the cancer ward of the hospital I might have quit reading it after the first few chapters.
3. I liked Hazels parents for hovering over her and really considering her health and well-being.
4. I liked the fact that Gus never smoked his cigarettes. He just let them hang out.
5. I like the fact that Gus died over Hazel dying first. It just made more sense to kill him first.


What I didn't like, Top 5 things.

1. I hated, really, the nonchalant way of dealing with cancer. The voice of the author didn't allow any sentiment or feelings of pain, fear or real emotion seep through the narrators voice of constant sarcasm. I didn't like the tone. It seemed too fake to be real. It had no depth.
2. Why did Isaac have to loose his eyes?
3.  The story was unbearably predictable from the beginning: sarcastic dying girl meets hopelessly romantic boy, they make love at some point then one of them MUST die.
4. None of these kids had a pet to help them out. The author clearly could have tossed in a fluffy loveable golden retriever or cuddly cat in the middle of the houses full of mourning.
5. Support group. It didn't make any sense that these kids went to a group that really wasn't supportive as it named the names of they dying at the end of each session. It was more like a waiting line to put their name at the end.

Overall: did I like it? No. I read it in 3 days to get it over with. I just couldn't like a book about children in love and dying from cancer. Should I cry and go watch it in the theater? Nope. I won't do it. Childhood illness is nothing to be sarcastic or swoon over so I won't support it's being turned into a movie. I'll let everyone else who needs a good cry to go bawl at the theater. When I get the moment where I need to have a little sob I will do it for free at home with a spoonful of nutella. It's cheaper.

Off to roast some pork chops and to enjoy this glorious sunny day.

I really need to stop reading this bestsellers rubbish by the way. I feel it is corroding my mind. I feel like I need to read something intense and complicated after this to detox my reading cells. I feel like I need to challenge myself and learn Hebrew or Cherokee after reading such junk.

Off to cook and contemplate what to learn with El Gordo sitting by my heels.

Comments

Popular Posts