Day at the MOMA

There are some huge advantages of living in north New Jersey. Here are 5 to start off:

1. You get to regularly see the Real Housewives of NJ.
2. You can find real mozzarella di bufala. (Proudly pronounced muzzarell' by the locals...it makes my ear ache. That and Madonna Mia is pronounce Ma'ronna Mia)
3. You can really appreciate the difference between a North Jersey Italian American accent and a Brooklyn Italian American accent (Sort of glad I took the Linguistics course in college. Knowing the difference in diphthongs is really paying off...) In north Jersey ending a conversation with a smack on the back and "You gotta problem with that?" means "I love you and do what I say because I'm here to take care of you. If you disagree with me there will be serious repercussions that might alter your comfort level. You gotta problem with that?"
4. You can scream when you drive and the liberal use of the word F*** is not a shocker unless you are a woman around men, then don't use it. But women around women, and yes, even around children is acceptable.
5. Eating. Ok, I was going to only name 5 but here is one that needs to be meantioned. You will not be hungry nor eat frozen food, fast food, canned food, or American cuisine in North Jersey. No, you will be fed carbs with lots of garlic. Delicious carbs with disturbing amounts of garlic. To avoid garlic you must....that requires another dedicated post. Garlic, it is everywhere.
6. It is close to NYC! Yay!

Welcome to NYC








So, we take advantage of the cultural haven that is NYC. The City. Crossing the street from NJ to NYC opens a world with hundreds of cultures, artists, backgrounds, inspirations, history. NYC is easy to love. This day we went to the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art). Mr. Right wanted to introduce me to the artist known as Rene Magritte. As we walked into the MOMA there was a "live art" exhibit consisting of a group of dancers taking turns dancing like zombies. I'm sure it meant something intellectual that I can't appreciate but to me it just looked like zombies with a cross of Miley Cyrus twerking. I know this guy got his moves from Miley.

Off we set to find Magritte and had to wait in line to see his works.


Mr. Magritte was in the club of surrealist artists and was good friends with Dali. Magritte had a sad childhood and I think his paintings give a sense of loss, mostly because there is always some piece of a body missing in the picture. I wasn't a fan of his paintings. They made me feel like I couldn't digest a good burger. I felt like Magritte could have made whole art and he did part art to leave out the meaningful bits...I like Dali much better. Here are four of Magritte's works:






Then we walked around each floor of the MOMA enjoying and criticizing some of the other works.
soup!

Yes! Yes, "Starry Night" by Van Gogh was there! I couldn't believe my eyes. It is so beautiful in person. I wanted to hug it. 

A snow shovel. Really, now how is that art?

Matisse "Dance"

I don't know the artist but I like this one. 



His curls are much more beautiful and artistic than whatever that painting is!

Dali " Memory"
 Then we turned a corner and I came face to face with some of my friends! I deeply admired Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera's work and was so surprised and happy to see their paintings.
Frida!!!


Diego Rivera loved painting Indios with calla lilies. I love all of his calla lilie paintings. They make me think of good things, like gummy bears.
Another Mexican impressionist painting that I liked. 

This one! SO colorful, vibrant, detailed. It makes me want to....

...sleep.

Rothko! I also really enjoy his paintings. They are colorful and full of positive energy. 
 One of the funniest exhibits was a black and white film of two naked people passing a giant ball back and forth to each other. I should submit a video of the cats sleep smacking each other. Their eyes droop then they remember they were fighting and swat whiskers. That is much more entertaining than this garbage'.
"I won't let my ball come between us!"

Oh no! Drama! The ball moved.
 As we were leaving the MOMA we passed by the twerking zombie exhibition. They were  hours in and still going strong. Weird.

Thanks for a great day, NYC!

Comments

Popular Posts